Rachel B's Reviews > Answering Jihad: A Better Way Forward

Answering Jihad by Nabeel Qureshi

bookshelves: netgalley, mindful, christian-non-fiction

This is an excellent primer in jihad for those who know very little about Islam. Since the author was a devout Muslim before converting to Christianity, he writes with much love and compassion toward Muslims, while objectively exploring what Islam actually teaches about jihad.

I loved the background information on Islam in general, as I think many people lack a basic understanding of how Islam functions.

"To answer whether Islam truly is a religion of peace, we must consider what Islam teaches, not just what Muslims practice." (p.28)

"To assume that Muslims must live a certain way because the Quran or hadith command it misses a crucial step in the Islamic worldview, the distillation of sharia through Muslim authorities. If jurists and imams say that surah 9 does not apply to a Muslim's life today and that they should live peacefully with their Jewish, Christian, and polytheist neighbors, then it is entirely appropriate for a Muslim to follow his imam and live peacefully." (p. 59)

I especially appreciated the section on ISIS, Al-Qaida, and Boko Haram, as I've had a difficult time finding concise explanations of what exactly is going on overseas with these particular groups. Qureshi's information was incredibly helpful.

Though he doesn't offer specific "solutions," Qureshi repeatedly asserts that Christians loving Muslims with Christ's love is our best response to jihad.

The book is written in a question-and-answer format with 18 questions total:

1. What Is Islam?
2. Is Islam “a Religion of Peace”?
3. What Is Jihad?
4. Is Jihad in the Quran and the Life of Muhammad?
5. What Is Sharia?
6. Was Islam Spread by the Sword?
7. What Is Radical Islam?
8. Does Islam Need a Reformation?
9. Who Are Al-Qaida, ISIS, and Boko Haram?
10. Who Are the True Muslims—Violent or Peaceful Muslims?
11. Why Are Muslims Being Radicalized?
12. Are Muslims Trying to Take Over the West with Sharia?
13. Do Muslims and Christians Worship the Same God?
14. Why Do Some Christians Call God “Allah”?
15. How Does Jihad Compare with Old Testament Warfare?
16. What Does Jesus Teach about Violence?
17. How Does Jihad Compare with the Crusades?
18. What Does Jesus Have to Do with Jihad?

I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Answering Jihad.

January 24, 2017 – Started Reading
January 24, 2017 – Shelved
January 24, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley
January 24, 2017 – Shelved as: mindful
January 24, 2017 – Shelved as: christian-non-fiction
January 31, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Enjoyed your review!!

Rachel B Glad to hear it! :)