Matthew's Reviews > Everything I Never Told You

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

liked it
bookshelves: 2017, audio, library, tear-jerkers, mystery

This is a dark drama. I did not find much hope in the story. Maybe others will disagree, but it is a fairly depressing story.

It was still a good book, even if my mood grew darker as the story went along. I think that the overall story was interesting and the relationships in the story are written well. Also, the development along the way is fascinating even if gloomy.

There is a lot of poorly defined time jumping, but, while that has bothered me in other books, I was okay with it here. Somehow I managed to quickly realign my thought process when I suddenly realized I was elsewhere in the time line.

The time period of this book is the late 1970s. The main reason I am thinking that they did this is that the social opinion at that time on mixed-race marriage and people was not as accepting as it is now. If this had been written in modern day, a lot of the fear and desperation caused by this would not have been there.

I cannot say that I would recommend this book because it is so dark and depressing and I wonder what people might think (i.e. “Why does Matthew think I would like this sad book? What must he think of me!??”). But, if you are interested in stories with serious family drama, this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Never Told You.

January 23, 2017 – Shelved
January 23, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 19, 2017 – Started Reading
October 19, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
October 19, 2017 – Shelved as: audio
October 19, 2017 – Shelved as: library
October 19, 2017 –
22.0% "Grieving and suspicion"
October 20, 2017 –
40.0% "Interrogation"
October 21, 2017 –
81.0% "Learning to drive"
October 23, 2017 – Shelved as: tear-jerkers
October 23, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery
October 23, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Brandice Nice review! I really enjoyed this one although I agree, it was very dark and depressing!

Matthew Brandice wrote: "Nice review! I really enjoyed this one although I agree, it was very dark and depressing!"

Thanks! Yeah . . . I need a feel good story after this one!

Angela M Definitely dark and depressing but I did feel a tough of hope at the end . Nice review.

Susanne Strong Nice review Matthew! While I absolutely loved this one, I get that you and others might have found the heaviness of the book to be overwhelming.

Matthew Angela M wrote: "Definitely dark and depressing but I did feel a tough of hope at the end . Nice review."

Thanks. I was searching for a bit of hope in the end, but I felt like maybe after the book ended it might just be more of the same - kind of interesting to ponder!

Matthew Susanne wrote: "Nice review Matthew! While I absolutely loved this one, I get that you and others might have found the heaviness of the book to be overwhelming."

Thanks - I think it is going to take me awhile to fully process this one!

Angela M Matthew, maybe it was me that was just hoping!

message 8: by Dana (new) - added it

Dana Nice review, Matthew. I haven’t read the yet, it will consider myself warned.

Matthew Angela M wrote: "Matthew, maybe it was me that was just hoping!"

I think it is a good thing you found some! That is not a wrong thing . . . I think I was just in a place with the narrative where it couldn't recover out of the doldrums for me.

message 10: by Matthew (last edited Oct 23, 2017 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matthew Dana wrote: "Nice review, Matthew. I haven’t read the yet, it will consider myself warned."

Thank you!

Cheri Wonderful review, Matthew, I could sense how much this affected you!

Matthew Cheri wrote: "Wonderful review, Matthew, I could sense how much this affected you!"

Thank you! Yes, I am sure I will be thinking about this one for a long time to come.