Rick Riordan's Reviews > Ninefox Gambit

Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee

Jan 23, 2017

After reading the Ancillary Justice series, Ninefox Gambit was a wonderful complementary read. We are dropped into an interstellar empire called the Hexarchate, where six factions with different skill sets vie for power within the system. (Think Divergent on a galactic scale.) The ultimate power in the universe is pure mathematics. An understanding of number theory has to be agreed on and followed by everyone in the society, right down to the yearly calendar and how many days in a week. Within this mathematic "orthodoxy" the laws of physics work as you would expect, and all is right in the cosmos. But from time to time, mathematical heresies arise, like adding a day to the week or computing with a different base number, and the whole fabric of physics starts to warp. Weapons don't work they way they're supposed to. New technologies become possible that should not be possible. Our hero, Captain Kel Cheris, is a military commander who gets in deep trouble for unorthodox strategy, but she is given a way to redeem herself: Retake an important station that has fallen into the hands of heretics. To do this, she must use a secret weapon: She downloads the consciousness of a never-defeated general who has been dead for thousands of years. The only problem: this general was consigned to cold storage because he went mad and massacred his own armies. Can Kel control the new voice in her brain? Can she trust it, or keep from being taken over? And how will she defeat an unknown heresy? Once you get into the premise, this is a fantastic adventure with brilliant world-building.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ninefox Gambit.

Finished Reading
January 23, 2017 – Shelved

message 1: by D R Exelby (new)

D R Exelby Sounds great

Michael Thanks for the review. You helped clear some of the fog away! BTW, as I understand the book, Jedao had been "dead" for 397 years, not "thousands of years." (less)

message 3: by AttWaq (new)

AttWaq Is this better than divergent? And which should I read first this one or divergent?

message 4: by Fi (new)

Fi Cool

message 5: by ninja man (new) - added it

ninja man nice book rick

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I SO WANT TO READ THAT

Victor Becerra Sounds good

Lila thanks for this review, I also read this after Ancillary Justice and found it to be exactly the right continuation / revelation as their voices and vision are distinct yet harmonize

message 9: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Charmaine Marie Flanagan So far, a great book! Don't start it unless you get some time to dig in a little. The first few chapters left me going back and starting over. Since at that time I was around people, I had to pay much more attention as it is a very intricate ideal they live for.