Helen's Reviews > Dreams of Gods & Monsters

Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor

bookshelves: fantasy, magic, monsters, romance, young-adult, reviewed, competent-female-characters, favourites

The last book in the series got off to a slow start. I found it a bit overly dramatic, and it took me nearly 200 pages to get back into the story. The addition of an entirely new character that became very important to the story didn't help, I felt like it was a bit late in the story to throw a new person and a new story arc into the mix!

I did like Eliza though, she was interesting, smart and funny. When the things settled down and got going how she fit into the wider story started to make sense.

And there was a lot of story crammed into the second half of this book. The war between the Chimaera and the seraphs was the focus of the first two books but this one seemed to move away from that into a bigger story about the fate of all the worlds. There had been hints of this dropped in here and there so I knew there would be more eventually but it was all resolved in what felt like a mad rush at the end.

But I still enjoyed reading this, I liked the story and the writing has been wonderful throughout all three books.

Supposedly a young adult book it has more intelligence and emotional depth than most adult books. It has a strong anti-war message, and even though it got too dramatic sometimes (all the feelings, all at once) and too caught up in trying to hammer home that message it does well at showing that war isn't this honour and glory thing it is often portrayed as.

In fact, I'm putting it up there as one of my favourite fantasy series. I've been hooked on Karou's story since I started reading. The writing is beautiful and the world's Laini Taylor creates are rich and vivid and I've loved losing myself in them.

I even liked the way it ended, which is unusual for me with this kind of book. The romance between Karou and Akiva was handled well, but I wish they had more time together in the book. I'm sure they didn't have one proper conversation all through it!

It's a series I'm going to keep on my shelves and I'm already looking forward to re-reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams of Gods & Monsters.

January 23, 2017 – Shelved