Sam's Reviews > False Idols

False Idols by Jon Hollins

bookshelves: favorites
Read 2 times. Last read June 21, 2018 to August 27, 2018.

Holy crap! I just finished this last night and wow was it good. I enjoyed the first book, for me it was like an 8 out of 10. But man he really stepped up his writing game up, cause for me this ones a 10/10. There arent many sequels that step up this big and knock it out of the park. Where the first gets the Guardians of the Galaxy comparison, its a bunch of misfits that accidentally save the day with a lot of humor and snark, that Id agree with. Where False Idols has some of the humor, some parts where i was actually giggling like a school girl but more so in the first half of the book. And the second half goes dark and brutal, more like Game of Thrones, in a good way.
The writing is really good, for me its up their with Steven Erikson, who I think is one of the best writers in fantasy right now. Hollins isnt afraid to use big words and doenst treat us like this is the first fantasy novel we've ever read. All the while being easy to follow. And mixes the humor and action and suspense so well, you'll literally go from laughing your ass off to your heart pounding from the will written action sequences and suspenseful moments. Go hurry up and read the first book, which is a good book, so you can read this one. I know there is a few months and more books to come out but its my book of the year so far.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read False Idols.

January 22, 2017 – Shelved