Amy Burns's Reviews > Fractures

Fractures by Iain Maloney

Fractures is a handsomely produced poetry pamphlet which tempts the reader inside with evocative cover art featuring Japanese architecture and a subdued landscape. The interior design is just as it should be; elegantly restrained so that the work is allowed to speak for itself. I purchased my copy directly from the publisher, Tapsalteerie.

Even if you are only vaguely familiar with poetry, chances are you have heard of a Japanese haiku which typically follows precise rules regarding syllable and line count. Maloney offers haiku (in a strict sense) in this collection but we see the most compelling examples of his work when he unshackles himself from the restraints and allows the spirit of haiku to infuse and inform his poetry.

When reading this pamphlet I felt transported through a lifelong dream, a travel log of mental snapshots set against the backdrop of love and heartbreak. One opens their eyes to look at what the poetry has to offer and Maloney transports you with each blink, each glance, each turn of the page to a new destination; a new emotion; a love affair; a laugh; a tear; a rebirth.

It's well-worth your time.

Fractures

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fractures.

January 20, 2017 – Started Reading