Roxanne Russell's Reviews > What We See When We Read

What We See When We Read by Peter Mendelsund

bookshelves: all-time-favs

I'm so grateful to Peter Mendelsund for creating this book. And doing it so masterfully with his design mind.
His is a unique perspective, influenced by the central challenge of his life's work-- designing book covers. The problem he is tasked with solving, or the way of seeing he is tasked with understanding, is how to encapsulate the reading experience visually?
In this book he runs down the underlying assumptions, preconceptions and misconceptions we all bring to our attempts to answer such a question. He explores the possibilities, the experiences, the sensory and mental realities of reading- the essential connection between language, meaning, imaging, imagining.
All the while relentlessly reminding the reader that words function differently as symbols than images do. He never allows the reader to encounter words in this book in a conventional way. He is constantly, often playfully, demonstrating how visual cues impact meaning.
Why I'm grateful.
The love of reading may be the most stable constant of my life. And has evolved into a driver of my professional life and the pursuit of my dreams. How reading functions in the learning process is the central challenge of my life's work and what inspired my own design mind to ask this question: How does control of navigation through words impact a reader's experience?
This book has given me a city full of new avenues to explore as I continue to pursue this inquiry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What We See When We Read.

January 22, 2017 – Started Reading
January 22, 2017 – Shelved
February 15, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 18, 2017 – Shelved as: all-time-favs

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Chantel I always love your reviews. I will DEFINITELY read this book.