Kiera Beddes's Reviews > 50 Great American Places: Essential Historic Sites Across the U.S.

50 Great American Places by Brent D. Glass

bookshelves: audiobook, history, non-fiction, overdrive, set-in-usa

A fascinating inside look at 50 different historical places within the US. I appreciated the author's variety of people and places and his in-depth discussions on why he felt each place deserved recognition. Some places I recognized or had been to myself, which was always fun, like Temple Square, the National Mall, the World's Colombian Exposition of 1892 (holla at DEVIL AND THE WHITE CITY), Monticello, Jamestown, Colonial Willamsburg, and the Hoover Dam. Others I had never heard of, which was even more exciting because I have a whole bunch of new places to add to my to-visit list like the Salk Institute in La Jolla, CA, or the Biltmore House in North Carolina, or the Presido at the Golden Gate, or the White Dove of the Desert Cathedral in Arizona. SO MANY COOL PLACES. And really, it's not just places, but people too and events.

Let me know if you want to go on an extended roadtrip so we can see some of these places. I promise, I'm very fun to travel with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 50 Great American Places.

January 22, 2017 – Started Reading
January 22, 2017 – Shelved
January 22, 2017 –
12.0% "1/50: The National Mall--fun fact, the same designers for the 1893 World's Fair also helped design the National Mall! Connections!
2/50: Cahokia and the St. Louis arch--I appreciate the inclusiveness of American places...including Native American
3/50: Mesa Verde--I'm SO EXCITED about this book."
January 24, 2017 –
50.0% "Hey! Temple Square is #20. It's always interesting to here church history from an outside perspective. He makes an valid argument how central the pioneer movement was to settling the West."
January 27, 2017 – Finished Reading