Lexie's Reviews > Want

Want by Cindy Pon

May 15, 2017

(Read as a buddy read with Samantha of Forest of Words and Pages)

First things first - THIS COVER THOUGH. I mean, I can't possibly love it more if I tried, but I'll try pretty damn hard to because THIS COVER THOUGH.

And can we talk about how awesome Daiyu is? Actually let me talk about how awesome she is, but beneath a cut since learning about some of her awesome actions could change your reading

(view spoiler)

I had a couple questions at the end - namely when all was said and done what happened with Joseph? (view spoiler) What is Daiyu's mother like? Who would I have play Zhou, Daiyu and everyone else if a live action drama was ever produced?

I had some qualms with Zhou at times; Vic is right, he's a bit too tender hearted for the mission and he spends a lot of time angsting over what to do about Daiyu. I wish we could have spent a bit more time with the group, or with each individual member. You get a good read on Lingyi and Arun, but other than some observations by Zhou about Iris and Victor, we have very little time with them as individuals outside of the group. Much is made of Victor's ability to wheel and deal based on his charming personality and suaveness, but we see very little of that as he keeps a different kind of "front" up around the group. Iris...the vulnerable moment we see of Iris late in the book is a beautiful moment. I wish we could see more.

The opening jumped around for a bit and the group's plan takes a few chapters to even get off the ground as they tried to get all their ducks in a row after a slight set back. While Zhou is an engaging protagonist, I really wanted Daiyu to show back up and be part of the action again. Or for Iris to run around spooking the living daylights out of Zhou constantly. Maybe both.

The setting is a very visceral part of this book. I've never been to Taipei or Taiwan, but Pon's descriptions of the night markets, of the lights and the mountains, of the way things seem to be both diminished because of the pollution, but also desperately trying to carve out an existence still, the beauty that once was and the beauty it could be once more...its almost its own character. Zhou's love of Taiwan is what drives his actions, what drives all their actions in the end. Pon brings that love to life and into focus, even as things seem really bleak at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Want.

January 21, 2017 – Shelved
January 21, 2017 – Shelved as: arc-owned-to-read
May 9, 2017 – Started Reading
May 9, 2017 –
page 76
23.17% "/end chapter 3. You ever have a knot of anxiousness when reading something? Cause I have one and it's mostly centered around Zhou & Daiyu and how this plays out. Especially after..well after certain events."
May 11, 2017 –
page 191
58.23% "/end chapter 9. JIN IS THE SHADIEST MO-FO TO EVER BE A PARENT. like the "Superman" enhancement ALONE earns him that but I don't trust this "help the poor" act."
May 12, 2017 –
page 270
82.32% "/end chapter 13, I read an extra chapter (sorry Samantha!) because I had to know the fall out from their latest plan. Which, for the record, chapter 13 made my chest hurt."
May 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

Samantha I FINALLY UPDATED MY GR. I'm doing a BN post on this book 😍

Lexie I keep forgetting to update too! and oh man I can't wait to see!!!