Mel's Reviews > Doctor Who And The Daemons

Doctor Who And The Daemons by Barry Letts

Jul 24, 2011

bookshelves: 20th-century-fiction, childrens, doctor-who

This book is based on John Pertwee's favourite episode. It's a really wonderful adventure that almost seems more like Hammer Horror than Doctor Who. The Master sets himself up as an evil vicar and manages to lure a sleepy English village into black magic, summoning Daemons and trying to steal their power. This book is I think by far the best novelisation of a Who story I read. It's abotu 50 pages longer than the average who book. Letts adds much more to the story. Mike Yates and Sargent Benton really develop their personalities (Benton married and into Ballroom dancing?). There are some lovely asides, particularly at the end when Yates asks the Brigidear to dance but they decide to go to the pub instead. Jo remains quite plucky throughout this adventure and in fact ends up saving everyone by offering herself to be killed instead of the Doctor. It's wonderful that after all the scientific and intelligence of the Doctor's attempts to stop the Daemon fail Jo is able to get him to destroy himself. This was really a wonderful adaptation of a great Doctor Who story and now I'm going to need to rewatch the episodes again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Who And The Daemons.