Lee's Reviews > Butterfly Serenade

Butterfly Serenade by Julianna Douglas

I love the sensitive side of this book. As we see the horror of the ways Rose was abused, we see the compassion and love that Colin gives her. It's a beautiful love story that touches deep within. At first it's shocking, because Rose is caught up in some self-destructive behavior trying to quiet the demons in her head. Sometimes it's hard to see the things that she and others go through, but the book shows a compelling path to healing for Rose and others like her. I really enjoyed seeing her blossom under the love of Colin. And his type of musical therapy as a way of helping and healing is nothing short of amazing. There are some valid solutions to violence in this story. An emotional journey from the start, Rose and her family are caught up in a cult that include controlling and abuse as its mode of operation. It's hard not to feel so angry at the injustice and wrong thinking that goes on here. It's all too real what the enemy of the truth wants people to believe. When a victim is in the midst of all this abuse, they don't know how to escape or how to really think about it all. There are many cults out there that teach many of these wrong things, that tell a man to control the women in his family, that tell him he's justified in his way of abuse. But it's wrong. True love never treats wives or children like this. The real God never condones abuse like this. Anyway, the book is great about revealing things going on, and awesome showing how the victims can heal. I felt like this was a suspenseful story, in that you never could tell quite how Rose was going to act, whether she was going to get her happy ending. The author captured beautifully how a man should truly love a woman. It brought tears....I recommend this book for all the beautiful moments of healing that come. But, also know that there are hard instances of violence and quite open scenes of intimacy within the book. I felt like it was a true look at reality, and see there are quite a few redeeming moments here. I look forward to reading more in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Butterfly Serenade.

January 21, 2017 – Started Reading