Jilly's Reviews > Lord of Darkness

Lord of Darkness by Elizabeth Hoyt

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, romance

It's funny how your expectations going in to a book will totally affect your rating. I expected to hate this book. I wasn't particularly interested in the two main characters from their introductions in previous books and all of my friends here didn't like it at all. I almost decided to skip it, but I'm glad I didn't.

Because my expectations were so low, I was super stoked to find myself enjoying this book at all.

So, we have a husband and wife in a marriage of convenience for the past two years, with both of them completely broken over the loss of previous loves. Neither of them are interested in getting to know each other and the marriage was never consummated. But, our female decides she wants a baby and who better to get her pregnant than her own husband. They do have their uses occasionally. Mine will kill bugs for me whenever I ask. Even the giant ones that we have in Texas.

My plan for when he is sleeping. It's supposed to be romantic to leave little notes for your spouse!

I liked how slowly these two started falling in love. I also liked that their first couple of tries at the sex was mostly disastrous. Godric, the male, even grew on me. He certainly is going nowhere near my book boyfriend ranch, but I don't want him dead. Hey, for me that's a compliment. As for Megs, well... she wasn't too horrible. Okay, just a little horrible. Definitely stupid. But, I didn't want her dead that badly. Only a little.

So, although it isn't my favorite book in the series, and they sure aren't my favorite couple, I found the book entertaining, and it even made me chuckle a couple of times. That's good enough for me. Now, on to a better couple! (Hopefully!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of Darkness.

January 21, 2017 – Started Reading
January 21, 2017 – Shelved
January 21, 2017 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
January 21, 2017 – Shelved as: romance
January 22, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠ 4 stars!!!????? What the hell, woman. I could've accepted 3 stars and blamed it on you drinking, but 4 stars is completely ridiculous. You obviously smoked crack while reading this. Or someone switched books on you.

Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com) hahaha Kate. I gave it two stars and dnf'd this one!

Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com) And Jilly didn't like Winter all that much! For realz though. Jilly, we need to talk. ;)

Jilly Oh crap, not another intervention! Those things get soooo old after a while! ;D
Sorry, my dear friends! I admit I was a little loosey-goosey with my stars on this one, but I'll never love Winter as much as I loved Mick! :P

Jilly Oh, and at least I HATE Wakefield in the next book so far. You can count on my support in lynching him. ;)

Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com) See I hated Mick, so this works out great actually. For once, I don't have to compete for book boyfriends! lol ;)

I'm glad you like this series though. It's good, if uneven. I keep reading them at least. But this series and I are currently "on a break."

Jilly Haha, Shelly! I am feeling pretty good about how low my competition for Mick is! Everyone else seems to want Winter (so far). ;)

Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠ Wait, wait. I liked Mick. He was hot! I'm all for pirates! I wasn't a huge fan of Winter. I'm not into underfed, gaunt, martyr type men, i.e. Winter. My favorites have been Caire, Mick, Maximus, and Val.

I gave this book 1 star. I loathed Megs and Godric was boring.

Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠ Seriously, 4 stars for this is beyond loosey goosey. That's an oil spill of stars for this book. I'm going to pretend you were blackout drunk when you rated this and thought the 4 stars was negative 4 stars.

Jilly Haha! I'm so glad you agreed with me on the Winter thing. I thought I was the only one! I am excited to meet Val...

As for the stars - I am about to give in to peer pressure and lower it to 3 stars. Will this soothe you guys? I'm all about making my friends happy, after all. ;D

And, of course I was drunk. I'm drunk now. SMH. Duh!

message 11: by Mei (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mei Weill, this was the least favorit of mine. Dind't like neither the hero nor the heroine! Godric definitely is not my kind of hero!
I'm glad you lowered the rating! Does that mean the you've been smoking crack when you first rated it? LMAOOOO

Jilly Of course, Mei! My ratings are always based on my current sobriety. ;)

Jilly Lol!

message 15: by Lakshmi (new)

Lakshmi C Fab review, Jilly :)

Jilly Thank you, Lakshmi! :)

message 17: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa Book Boyfriend Ranch? What a visual. Pictures a dude ranch with dudes instead of horses. Of course, insert ride double entendres.....

lol.....

Which strangely led me to think of that Futurama episode - "Death by Snu-Snu"

Also.....there's only one solution to a bug in tupperware - stab straight through that container because that's going to be a mad bug when you lift up that container. Also, burn that container. Or use it to plant basil.

Jilly Well, other girls have dungeons for their book boyfriends. I prefer the free-range, cage-free kind. Plus, I live in Texas. Ranches are readily available.

Futurama = awesome.

message 19: by Eric (new)

Eric Mesa Jilly wrote: "Well, other girls have dungeons for their book boyfriends. I prefer the free-range, cage-free kind. Plus, I live in Texas. Ranches are readily available.

Futurama = awesome.

"

Ah, organic smutty thoughts ;)