orangerful's Reviews > The Daily Show: An Oral History as Told by Jon Stewart, the Correspondents, Staff and Guests

The Daily Show by Chris Smith

Mar 02, 2017

bookshelves: adult, pop_culture_studies, nonfiction, microhistories

I read half of this and then listened to the rest. I was a little disappointed the audiobook wasn't narrated by anyone from the show but that would be pretty amazing to get that cast back together. That being said, the readers did a wonderful job mimicking the voices and tone where they could without it being too distracting.

I was watching the Daily Show with Craig Kilborn in high school and I remember when it changed hands to Jon Stewart. I have always been relatively progressive/liberal in my world view, so I wouldn't say that Jon changed that, but The Daily Show did let me know that I was not alone in thinking that way, it made me want to stay up to date on the news, it made me understand how politics really work.

The show, Stewart's version of the show, played a HUGE role in my young adult life and this book does an amazing job covering its evolution over the course of 12 years. If you are a fan of the show, if you remember watching it every night, if you attended the 'Rally for Sanity' -- pick up this book or give it a listen. You will be impressed by how much hard work this entire cast and crew put into keeping us both informed and entertained all these years, and how that ended up changing the media as a whole.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Daily Show.

January 21, 2017 – Started Reading
January 21, 2017 – Shelved
January 21, 2017 – Shelved as: adult
January 21, 2017 – Shelved as: pop_culture_studies
January 21, 2017 –
page 26
5.64% "Already fascinating and I've only just started. I remember the switch from Kilborn to Stewart..."
February 4, 2017 –
page 250
February 6, 2017 –
page 250
54.23% "I'm enjoying this book but I might take a break from it. I loved The Daily Show but I'm not sure I need to know THIS MUCH about it LOL."
February 7, 2017 –
page 260
56.4% "Huzzah! The library has this as an audiobook so I will be switching formats soon."
February 18, 2017 –
60.0% "oh my gosh, the Rally to Restore Sanity...I went to that and it was insane but so much fun. So good to look around and see lots of other people who were done with the constant stream of fear coming from the 24 hour news networks. Feels so weird to read about it in this book and know that I was there."
February 23, 2017 –
75.0% "Jon's departure is approaching...what a mess this was with Oliver getting snagged by HBO!"
March 1, 2017 –
95.0% "I just got all teary-eyed in the car when they read Stephen Colbert's goodbye scene to Jon on his final show. It wasn't even the actual recording!"
March 2, 2017 – Shelved as: nonfiction