Shelly's Reviews > The Lace Reader

The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry

bookshelves: regional-usa-new-england, suspense, high-fives

This spellbinding story is primarily told by Towner Whitney,Brunonia Barry's self-confessed unreliable narrator: “My name is Towner Whitney. No, that’s not exactly true. My real first name is Sophya. Never believe me. I lie all the time.” However, the first-person point of view shifts to a third-person adding to the mysterious narrative.

Set in Salem, Massachusetts, the novel interlaces historic references with modern allusions that waver between somber and glib, creating an evocative, unpredictable atmosphere. Witches, Puritans, Ipswitch lace, and the dark waters of Salem harbor all play a part in creating a unique setting for the story.

The writing pulsates with secrecy—laced with hints, half-truths, and haunting details. There is a whopping wrap up at the end that leaves the reader leafing back through the book searching for missed clues.

This one is a great book club selection, as it is ripe for an animated discussion among friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lace Reader.

January 21, 2017 – Started Reading
January 21, 2017 – Shelved
January 22, 2017 – Shelved as: regional-usa-new-england
January 22, 2017 – Shelved as: suspense
January 22, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 2, 2017 – Shelved as: high-fives

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by PorshaJo (new)

PorshaJo Nice review! I just picked this one up at a library sale and looking forward to it.

Shelly PorshaJo wrote: "Nice review! I just picked this one up at a library sale and looking forward to it."

I hope you like it. I can't wait to read what you think.