Galina Kalvatchev's Reviews > The Turbulent Decade: Confronting the Refugee Crises of the 1990s

The Turbulent Decade by Sadako Ogata

Jul 24, 2011

The topics of refugee protection, relief assistance and repatriation operations are of interest to me and so I loved this book.

During her term as UN high commissioner for refugees between 1991 and 2000, Sadako Ogata worked with refugees and IDPs in Iraq, The Balkans, The Great Lakes region and Afghanistan. I like her solutions because to me they are unique and long-term.

It is a dramatic, profoundly sad description of the suffering of DPs and at the same time a source of knowledge and hope.

Sadako Ogata not only worked on helping DPs stay safe (as much as that was possible) during the major conflicts described in the book but also assisted in the their return home and implemented shelter programs, as well as social projects that aimed to help refugees settle down again and re-build their lives.

There is little or no future for a DPs who return home to non-existent social and judicial systems.
Sadago Ogata's aim was re-build those as much as possible so that there is a secure environment and possibilities of employment.

An issue that is addressed in the book that I like is the recognition that IDPs need just as much attention and help as the refugees who fled their countries.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Turbulent Decade.