natalie's Reviews > Keeping the Distance

Keeping the Distance by Clarisse David

bookshelves: books-devoured-in-2017, romance-class-reads, authors-of-colour

I really liked this one! It was just a really sweet high school romance.

i'll be honest, In the beginning I didn’t like Lance all that much. He had that cocky playboy thing going on and kept hassling Melissa and she was well within her rights to exact revenge. But as the story went on and we saw more of Lance being a little vulnerable he grew on me. Which i knewww was gonna happen because little by little i was like ugh Lance quit being annoying and yet funny at the same time lol (i was a goner, don't know why i tried to fight it >.>)
I love the enemies to lovers trope and oh yeh these two were definitely not friends in the beginning, which culminated in a funny scene involving a chair and super glue (poor Lance, he really had that coming)
Melissa was a great character. We get to see the pressures she faces as the principal’s daughter. It’s never easy when parents have these expectations and this is twice as hard when you’re the principal’s daughter, plus you have to deal with a too handsome, annoying yet intriguing dude everyday LOL
While the story centres around Melissa and Lance’s budding relationship, I loved the other relationships we got to see: their families and friends. I adored Lance’s relationship with his sister even though she was in Australia so they only communicated via phone, his sister making fun of him for falling for Melissa was hilarious (again, poor Lance heheh)
I love when even the secondary characters are interesting and not just one dimensional but make me want to know more about them and their lives. I’m hoping the other books focus on Mel’s bestie Cam and maybe Lance’s friend Jace, and Hunter of course. Oh! And I need one with Lance’s sister too please *puppy eyes*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping the Distance.

Started Reading