Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)'s Reviews > Under the Knife

Under the Knife by Kelly  Parsons

bookshelves: astoria-bookshop-arcs

When Finney's wife, Jenny, dies due to complications during a surgery, he plots to ruin the doctor who "killed" her, Rita. With the help of mystery man, Sebastian, he sets out on a course using advanced medical technology, to ruin her reputation, test her sanity and bring her to her ultimate breaking point. Fearing for her life and the life of her sister, she turns to her ex, Spencer, for help but even he thinks she's going crazy.

This medical thriller is a true page turner. I could NOT put this one down. Told from the view points of Finney, Sebastian, Rita and Spencer, the author really puts you in the minds of each one. Character building is on point! Finney is bat shit and as a tycoon can afford to do whatever he wants, and what he wants is to make those who wrong him PAY. Eye for an eye and then some. Sebastian is a force to be reckoned with and is morally torn. Rita is a strong, spunky Asian woman who has worked hard to be where she is but is not without her own issues, while Spencer is a fellow surgeon who wants nothing more than to make sure Rita is ok.

It's clear the author did her homework on the medical practices as there were lots of details included - the advanced medical technology was fascinating to read. Hello science, I love you. The plausibility felt real and I was enthralled with the processes of what could conceivably be our future. The operating room scenes are terrifying. I held my breath more than once and toward the end of the book, I was actively waving my hand trying to make the book go faster, then laughing at myself because, of course, only I can control how fast I'm going to read this, right? No skimming of any kind on this journey. Nope. The suspense built from chapter to chapter made me extremely tense! I'd be rooting for one character and then yelling at another one. Thankfully I was home alone, though my neighbors probably wonder what's going on over here.

Highly recommend and now please excuse me while I rush off to buy her other book, Doing Harm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Knife.

January 20, 2017 – Started Reading
January 20, 2017 – Shelved
January 20, 2017 – Shelved as: astoria-bookshop-arcs
January 20, 2017 –
page 149
42.33% "Hooked. Finney is bat shit."
January 21, 2017 – Finished Reading