Absynthe's Reviews > The Invisible Chains - Part 3: Bonds of Blood

The Invisible Chains - Part 3 by Andrew Ashling

Jul 24, 2011

bookshelves: cops-emts-soldiers-detectives, m-m, fantasy, nobility-royalty

In my review for book 1, I talked about the plot, for book 2, the writing.

For this book, I have to talk about the battle. I don't think that's giving anything away since by about page 10 of the first book, you know there's gonna be a battle. With most ancient times books that involve a battle, usually my eyes kind of glaze over when the author starts talking about tactics and maneuvers. I don't get it, and I probably never will. For this book, I totally understood what was happening at every moment. The author includes maps showing troop positioning throughout the battle which goes a long way towards helping me conceptualize what's going on.

The battle itself is impressive because of it's complexity. Not many authors can write about military tactics. And throught most of it, you STILL aren't sure how it's all going to end! I loved that! Because the author isn't afraid to damage his characters, as you read, you aren't sure if anyone comes out of the battle in one piece or even alive.

Oh, and the characters. Every time Ryhunzo goes on one of his rants, I die laughing! He's one of the funniest characters of all time. All the characters are really amazing. They each have their own unique voice, a great deal of depth and are very well fleshed-out.

Again, I was just so very impressed with the depth and breadth of every aspect of this series. I can't wait to see what else Andrew Ashling comes out with!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Chains - Part 3.

Quotes Absynthe Liked

Andrew Ashling
“I will give you a few guarantees of my own, Mukthar. I guarantee that before the sun sets, even if you win, even if my cold, dead body is lying on the field, you will rue the day you ever set foot in the Plains. For every inch you advance I'll exact gallons of Mukthar blood. I guarantee that there will be not one family of the Bear Mukthars or they will mourn at least one of theirs. I guarantee that even if you are triumphant the fruits of victory will taste like dust in your mouth. I guarantee that if you fail to kill me today, you will meet me again. You will meet me at the Ximerionian border. You will meet me at every city, town, village, and hamlet. You will meet me on every Amirathan crossroad, on every hill. I will fight you with every sword at my command, with every arrow, with every dagger. I will fight you with pitchforks. I will fight you with the very rocks of the land you try to conquer. I will never, never, never give up.

~Anaxantis, before the Battle of the Zinchara (May 29th, 1453 aed)
Andrew Ashling, The Invisible Chains - Part 3: Bonds of Blood