kariny v's Reviews > Violet Grenade

Violet Grenade by Victoria Scott

bookshelves: 2017-challenge, arcs, absolute-favs

*I received a free ARC from Entangled Teen in exchange for an honest review*

WHAT. JUST WHAT IS THIS AWESOMENESS.

For some reason i thought this book was taking place in the Victorian era and that it was a fantasy novel but it's actually a contemporary PSYCHOLOGICAL YA THRILLER.

Domino has been homeless for awhile and she lives with a friend named Dizzy. But when Dizzy gets taken in by the police and Domino doesn't have enough money to bail him out, she vows to do anything it takes to get the money and bail her only friend out, even if it means following up on Madam Karina's offer and joining the house of entertainers. But Domino does not expect the hierarchy of girls in the house nor does she expect the gentle and scared helper, Cain, who seems to be not so different from her than she'd first expected. But to bail Dizzy out, she can't stay in the lower class of girls, she'll have to work her way up to the top while dealing with jealous, dangerous and backstabbing girls that want nothing more than to stop her from moving up the ranks. But the longer she stays in the house, the more she realizes it won't be easy to leave and that she might not want to leave.

This book is a mass of darkness and awesomeness!!!! Do not expect dainty little flowers and strolls in the garden. EXCELLENT world building and plot, also what a gorgeous cover!!! It really was a thrill reading this book. And the author did an amazing job at keeping the suspense about Domino-throughout the book you're reminded that Domino has done bad things and that she's a monster but you don't know why until she eventually reveals it-and i honestly didn't see it coming. It was much darker than i'd initially expected. Each level of girls had their own personality and jobs, it was just so well imagined!!!

Domino was a very unusual character. She doesn't really let anyone in because she's scared they'll leave her so she could come off as a little cold. And the thing is, she truly believes she's a monster and even though Wilson helps to keep those memories away from her she can't escape them no matter how much she tries. She was brave, stubborn and loyal but she was a pretty intense character. And she loves wigs!!!!!I found that totally unique and cool that she wore hot pink and green wigs and she didn't care what anyone thought of her. She was a dreamer, she wanted to one day buy her own place and make a life for herself. I loved the way she clung to that dream through everything that happened.

Cain was a character that had been mentally manipulated a lot and it was sad because he was exuding power and yet he was reduced to this submissive helper who just allowed the girls to verbally abuse him.  I liked that he didn't judge Domino because he had his demons too and he was her secret protector in the house. he was such a gentle giant!!

Madam Karina was an amazing antagonist though after everything i can't bring myself to hate her. She's as mentally scarred as the other characters but she took it to a much MUCH deeper level. But in the end it just rooted from her insecurities. I loved that she was charismatic enough to hold some kind of power over the girls and even Domino. It made them want to make her happy and she did feel a special connection to Domino.

Wilson-the voice inside Domino's head. Is he real or not!? It could be someone she created to shield herself from the terrible thing's she'd done, someone to protect her from her memories and her violent past. He was incredibly violent and always waiting to pounce on Domino so he could take over her body and give in to the rage and violence. Yet despite all that and his blood thirst he only wanted to protect Domino, that was his goal. To make sure no one hurt her which just fascinated me so much because we don't actually know if he is Domino or is he actually a totally different character?  Nevertheless I LOVED HIM. LOVED HIM LOVED HIM LOVED HIM. Damn i wish i could spoil but there were these two pages in my kindle (you'll definitely know it when you see it) at the end that literally made me squeal like a maniac and shiver at the same time!!! The formatting of these two pages-DAMN it made an AMAZING effect..you'll know what i'm talking about as soon as you read it. Yeah so i love Wilson.

This whole book felt like a manipulation of minds and god was it awesome!!! All the characters in this book felt like time bombs and i was just waiting for one of them to mentally collapse and unleash hell!

Whew this was a long review sorry but i JUST NEEDED TO RANT. It's a standalone and definitely worth it!! I cannot wait till the hardcover comes out because i am SO buying this!!! RECOMMENDED TO EVERYONE.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Violet Grenade.

January 20, 2017 – Started Reading
January 20, 2017 – Shelved
January 20, 2017 –
18.0% "OMIGAAAAD THIS IS SO GOOD"
January 21, 2017 –
36.0% "This just keeps getting better and better!!"
January 21, 2017 –
36.0% "This just keeps getting better and better!!"
January 22, 2017 –
90.0% "SOMEBODY HOLD ME I'M HIGH ON AWESOMENESS"
January 25, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-challenge
January 25, 2017 – Shelved as: arcs
January 25, 2017 – Shelved as: absolute-favs
January 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Candace Robinson Yes!!!! ❤

kariny v Candace (Literary Dust) wrote: "Yes!!!! ❤"

:P seriously one of my all time favs :P