Joseph Thomas's Reviews > Shadows in the Water

Shadows in the Water by Kory M. Shrum

bookshelves: favorites, crime, urban-fantasy

When I found out that Kory M. Shrum was working on a new crime thriller book, I was super excited! Then when I was able to get an ARC (Advanced Reading Copy) of the book to proofread, I freaked out even more!

Shadows in the Water is about a woman named Louie Thorne who is seeking revenge for the death of her parents. But this is not your typical revenge story, as Louie has a special gift. A gift that allows her to dish out punishment to members of a Mafia family involved in her parent's deaths. As she uses this gift to exact her revenge, she learns that this gift does not come without costs and dangers.

The first chapter of this book was so intense and gripping, that to this day I get a little creeped out when I give my children baths! The characters are everything I look for in a good story: Complex, quirky, layered, and most of all... flawed. With the gift that Louie possesses it would be easy for her to become a complete "Mary Sue", but she is far from that. Not that she isn't a complete Bad-Ass, because she totally is!

With each new book that Shrum writes it just gets better and better, and it started off pretty darn great! This latest book was so good that I purchased it for my Kindle despite already having the ARC copy so that I could lend it out to my family and get them hooked as well.

I highly recommend reading this book - Just not in the bath!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows in the Water.

January 20, 2017 – Started Reading