Eon ♒Windrunner♒ 's Reviews > Nevernight

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

Read 4 times. Last read February 7, 2021 to February 15, 2021.

🗡️A BR with Celeste, TS, and Haïfa who have decided to see what all the fuss is about. 🗡️

A deviously dark and thrilling tale, Nevernight is the first book I read by Jay Kristoff and I loved every murderous second of it.

The protagonist, Mia, is a girl bent on revenge, hoping to make the cut in a fabled assassin school called the Red Church. The story starts off with her making her first kill which will serve as a tithe to the Maw.

"...the Maw. Niah. The Goddess of Night. Our Lady of Blessed Murder. Sisterwife to Aa, and mother to the hungry Dark within us all.”

The Maw is the goddess of the Red Church and Mia’s tithe will serve as her entry requirement to this elite school. Her Shahiid, Mercurio, has trained her as well as he was able to, but now after her first kill, it is time to further her training and to journey to the school in the hope of becoming one of the elite and feared Red Church assassins, all to serve her ultimate goal: revenge. Upon arrival though, she sees that she is not the only apprentice with high hopes and bloody ambitions. Twenty-eight have been sent. Four will be chosen as Blades (assassins), the rest as Hands (servants). Competition is cutthroat. Literally. Mia has no intention of becoming a Hand, and luckily, she has a rare advantage over the rest of her fellows. She is darkin. Touched by the night, Chosen of Niah, the Black Mother, she has power over shadows and has a friend who is always by her side. Her not-cat or shadow-cat aka Mr Kindly. And together they are a wickedly formidable team.

“I’ve heard tell darkin can steal the breath from your lungs. Slip through your shadow and kill you in your dreams. Maw only knows what the daemons who serve them can do.”

Mia & Mr Kindly by LesyaBlackBird

Mia is such a fascinating character. Set on becoming a murder maestro in order to visit retribution on those who have wronged her family, she is intent on doing anything to reach her goals, but soon realizes that this might not be the way and becoming a blade may take a harder toll on her than she is willing to pay. If she does not hold on to the very few things that matter to her, the Red Church will change her into an unfeeling monster, a killing machine and she will lose everything that makes her who she is, becoming more like those she hates with every fibre of her being. All the other characters, be it teachers, fellow students, antagonists or even shadow cats - round out the cast beautifully and had me completely invested in the story; the reasons that they do what they do is as spellbinding as anything else on display, and there is much on display.

“The books we love, they love us back. And just as we mark our places in the pages, those pages leave their marks on us. I can see it in you, sure as I see it in me. You’re a daughter of words. A girl with a story to tell.

For starters, all the mentioned lore and history of this world is as mesmerising as the plot and I am on tenterhooks to learn more of it. (Don't worry, no info dumps - just clever writing) Jay Kristoff has parcelled out enough bits and pieces that it hints at a much larger world, rich in diversity and brimming with untold tales. To tease with a taste, in contrast to the dark tone of this story, we have a world where it is almost never night, and the time of day that qualifies as night (even though it is not dark,) is aptly called Nevernight. There are three suns in the sky and between them, they ensure that Truedark only arrives once every two and a half years. But there is so much more... The Luminatii aka the bad guys (Well I guess bad guy is just a matter of your point of view?) or religious nuts have swords that light up in searing flames, fitting as they have been blessed by Aa to be the light of the world against the threat of the dark, those who worship Niah, the patron goddess of the Red Church. And then we have the city Mia grows up in which has been built beneath and also using the skeletal remains of a giant unknown beast or god (who knows what, and not helping the matter is the fact that the skull is missing), the myriad horrific creatures such as Sand Kraken (shudders) and Book Worms (WAY scarier than it sounds), and many more varied characters inhabiting this enthralling world. Truly, my list could go on and on.

And oh the action, gentlefriends…

__________________SO
____________________DAMN
________________________BADASS

But no spoilers here.

Mia by Salome Totladze

Whilst the story might at first sound somewhat familiar being that age-old, but well loved fantasy trope of revenge, and on top of that mixed in with a school for the gifted, (as catnip is to cats so are schools for gifted/wizards/assassins to this reader) the author has somehow made this feel entirely original and unique and the writing makes no bones about it right from the start. I was vexed in the opening chapter as the story starts off being told from what seems to be two alternating perspectives, but with slightly differing experiences, showing us similarities between two vastly different acts. As weird as that sounds, it is superbly done and an excellent bit of writing that I have not seen before. Past that initial confusion, the story picks up the pace and sucks you right in, building steadily as you close in on the last third of the book and then venturing into unputdownable territory from there on out. I had a very late night thanks to those final ten chapters. Oh, and it would be remiss of me to omit that this book was also the first instance I saw of the use of formatting text in a specific way to convey a specific action, and it is brilliantly executed, just another tick on my list of things to love about this tale.

As for any possible issues, I would point out that a few other readers have complained about flowery or purple prose, and some have even lambasted the writing for it. I confess I might have rolled my eyes at a sentence or two in passing, but it's hardly something to kick a fuss up about; I rather loved the writing in its entirety. If there is something that will putt some readers off it will surely be the footnotes added in every chapter. I think they are a stroke of genius, adding commentary/remarks/anecdotes throughout the story and aside from a few of them maybe being a touch long, they add heaps of wicked humour through a delightful narrator, and the author also makes clever use of them to expand on the worldbuilding without being info-dumpy.

Lord Cassius & Eclipse by Nanfe

To cut straight to the heart of it - Nevernight is dark, delicious & wickedly captivating entertainment that kept me enthralled throughout. If you have not yet read it, I hope I have convinced you to give it a chance. I will most definitely be rereading it for years to come, and have already done so a number of times.

Highly recommended.

“You’ll be a rumor. A whisper. The thought that wakes the bastards of this world sweating in the nevernight. The last thing you will ever be in this world, girl, is someone’s hero.”

You can find this review and more at Novel Notions

Art by Kerby Rosanes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nevernight.

January 20, 2017 – Started Reading
January 20, 2017 – Shelved
January 23, 2017 – Finished Reading
September 1, 2017 – Started Reading
September 1, 2017 –
page 13
3.03% "“You’ll be a rumor. A whisper. The thought that wakes the bastards of this world sweating in the nevernight. The last thing you will ever be girl, is someone’s hero.” Mercurio handed back the blade. “But you will be a girl heroes fear.” She smiled. Suddenly and terribly sad. She hovered a moment. Leaned in close. Gifted sandpaper cheeks with a gentle kiss. “I’ll miss you,” she said. And into the shadows, she walked."
September 2, 2017 –
page 34
7.93% "They spoke constantly of whatever sins they’d committed to be stationed in the Republic’s arse-end. Insubordination or drunken and disorderly behavior were the most common, although one legionary had been posted to Ashkah for murdering his cohort’s cook after being served corned beef for evemeal on no less than 342 consecutive nevernights. “Would it kill you,” he’d roared, “to serve [stab] some fucking [stab] salad?”"
September 5, 2017 –
55.0% "I think it’s time to recruit the most dangerous man in these halls,” she said.
Tric looked back up to the Hall of Songs, the Shahiid they’d just fled from. “I thought we just ran away from the most dangerous man in these halls?”
Mia tried to smile.
Settled for shaking her head.
“You’ve obviously not spent enough time with librarians, Don Tric.”"
September 5, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 14, 2019 – Started Reading
August 14, 2019 –
page 1
0.23% "Gotta love a great map!

description"
August 17, 2019 – Finished Reading
February 7, 2021 – Started Reading
February 15, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)

Lady Luna. ✨ Enjoy ! Can't wait to hear ur thoughts on this one

Robin (Bridge Four) EON!!!!!

YOU READ THIS AND LOVED IT!!!!

I'm so happy this was totally one of my favorite books of 2016 and I didn't even attempt the ebook due to the footnotes but in the print or audio it is fantastic.

I'm so excited for the second book. I'm waiting to reread it until just before the next book is released (it is one of the few rereads for a series that isn't ending I'm allowing myself this year) This one Age of Myth, The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance of course and then just a few others.

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Robin wrote: "EON!!!!!

:D

I cannot wait for the second book either, and I was not supposed to read any unfinished series this year, apart from Stormlight Archives. Was slightly bummed out that Godsgrave is only coming out in September. :(

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  ☽Luna☾ wrote: "Enjoy ! Can't wait to hear ur thoughts on this one"

It was awesome Sarah.

message 5: by Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ (last edited Jan 25, 2017 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Yours is much better!! Awesome review my friend
:-D

Robin (Bridge Four) Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Robin wrote: "EON!!!!!

YOU READ THIS AND LOVED IT!!!!

Some books/series are the exception I think. This one for sure and there are a few others that I NEED to read the books before the series is complete. But I think overall if your books and time is limited that is a really good plan.

message 7: by P (new) - added it

P This sounds awesome :)

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  P wrote: "This sounds awesome :)"

It is :)

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Yours is much better!! Awesome review my friend
:-D"

Pffft - thank you Melissa :D

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Robin wrote: "Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Robin wrote: "EON!!!!!

Agreed on all counts!

message 11: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo FANTASTIC review, Eon!!! Now I REALLY want to read it :-D

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  :D Thank you very much Jo.

Travis Awesome review!! I love Jay Kristoff and I am so ready for book 2 to come out!!!!

Petrik awesome review Eon!! :)

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Travis wrote: "Awesome review!! I love Jay Kristoff and I am so ready for book 2 to come out!!!!"

Thank you Travis - me too. Hurry up on September!

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Petrik wrote: "awesome review Eon!! :)"

Thank you Petrik!

Lady Luna. ✨ Great review Eon ! Can't wait to read it now :D

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  ☽Luna☾ wrote: "Great review Eon ! Can't wait to read it now :D"

Thanks Sarah. You definitely should asap.

message 19: by Samir (new)

Samir Great review Eon!

message 20: by TS (new) - rated it 4 stars

TS Chan Excellent review Eon! This seems interesting.. and my TBR can do with some new fantasy books.. I think..

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Hahahaha. It is VERY interesting. Not sos oure about that TBR though...seems to be doing a leaning Tower of Pisa impression. ;)

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Samir wrote: "Great review Eon!"

Michael Britt Awesome review, Eon! This actually makes me want to read this book!

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Michael wrote: "Awesome review, Eon! This actually makes me want to read this book!"

Happy to hear that Michael. I think you will enjoy it.

message 25: by Adam (new)

Adam Kickass review. I see this book pop up in recommendations on every bookshop site I go on. I dunno if I'd dig it or not though. I just can't tell/yell!!!

message 26: by Eon ♒Windrunner♒ (last edited May 19, 2017 06:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Adam wrote: "Kickass review. I see this book pop up in recommendations on every bookshop site I go on. I dunno if I'd dig it or not though. I just can't tell/yell!!!"

Thanks! :) I was not sure going into this one either Adam, but it REALLY worked for me. There is a lot of flowery prose which many people hate, but I did not mind it too much. Definitely give it a try if you get the chance!

Choko Beautiful review, Eon!!! I have missed you!

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Choko wrote: "Beautiful review, Eon!!! I have missed you!"

Chokooooo!!! :D Thank you so much! Feels like we have not done a BR in ages!

Pauline Fireheart Great review Eon! Glad you liked the book :)

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Pauline wrote: "Great review Eon! Glad you liked the book :)"

Thank you Pauline!

message 31: by Adam (new)

Adam Great review. I'm waiting on this ones arrival which should be here soon so it's good to know I randomly bought a winner. Looking forward to it much more after that review.
Kudos!

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Adam wrote: "Great review. I'm waiting on this ones arrival which should be here soon so it's good to know I randomly bought a winner. Looking forward to it much more after that review.
Kudos!"

Thank you Adam! Hope you enjoy it as much :)

Michael Britt Great review Eon!! The flame swords were frikkin awesome!

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Michael wrote: "Great review Eon!! The flame swords were frikkin awesome!"

Thanks Michael!

message 35: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries Lovely review and with a touch of fluffy. What to ask more. I'll definitely read the series when it's all out.

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Mayim wrote: "Lovely review and with a touch of fluffy. What to ask more. I'll definitely read the series when it's all out."

Thanks Mayim ;)

message 37: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo Enjoy!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Enjoy your re read 😁

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Enjoy your re read 😁"

Thank you Melissa!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin You're welcome 😊

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "You're welcome 😊"

Are you ready for Godsgrave?

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Yessssssss!!!!!!!!! 😄

message 44: by Eon ♒Windrunner♒ (last edited Sep 01, 2017 07:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Yessssssss!!!!!!!!! 😄"

Robin (Bridge Four) Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Yessssssss!!!!!!!!! 😄"

Me tooooo!!! :D And as soon as this is over it is just about time to start my Stormlight Archives reread. What a great time ahead! :)"

That was totally what I was thinking.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Yessssssss!!!!!!!!! 😄"

I know!!! I'm so excited! It's hard to believe they will be here soon 😊

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Robin wrote: "Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Yessssssss!!!!!!!!! 😄"

*high-five!

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: I know!!! I'm so excited! It's hard to believe they will be here soon 😊."

EXCITEMENT!!!