Laura's Reviews > Listed: Dispatches from America's Endangered Species Act

Listed by Joe Roman

Jul 24, 2011

bookshelves: nonfiction, animals, animal-ethics, zoo, conservation
Read in September, 2011 — I own a copy

This is the summarized history of the Endangered Species Act and its evolution to present time. I was actually surprised at how much it has changed, how often it has been tweaked to allow just enough leeway. It's fascinating to see that it has become, in many ways, much more effective since it has become more lenient. The book jumps around in some odd ways, but it hits on a lot of the major conservation efforts within the United States. Those familiar with ESA history will have to plow through the extensive coverage of the TVA vs. snail darter story, but there was some cool new stuff I had not encountered before (such as discussion of how essential carnivores are to transport of nutrients -- the "whale pump" was new to me and the far-reaching effects of their removal), and it reflects the conservation of habitats rather than individual species. I'd say this is an essential read for anyone in the wildlife or conservation field and provides an excellent snapshot of the current status of species conservation in the United States.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Listed.

02/20/2017 marked as: read