Sean Carlin's Reviews > Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between

Talking as Fast as I Can by Lauren Graham

Jan 19, 2017

This book is as delightful as any given episode of Gilmore Girls! It's basically a collection of anecdotal essays, and by no means a "tell-all": Anyone looking for behind-the-scenes gossip or salacious biographical details has come to the wrong place. What makes the book such breezy fun is Graham's one-of-a-kind personality -- her self-deprecating candor and silly wit -- which comes through on every page. In addition to some great insights into the making of Gilmore Girls (the original series and the Netflix revival), she talks about the early days of her career (including her education), being single as her star was rising, her brief (and ill-advised!) stint as a guest judge on Project Runway, and her misgivings about the Digital Age, as filtered through her curmudgeonly alter ego, Old Lady Jackson (a character that at minimum deserves to be featured in an upcoming Gilmore Girls production if not given her very own series -- perhaps a joint spin-off of Gilmore Girls and Golden Girls?).

It's probably the chapters devoted to Old Lady Jackson that most affected me: Amusing as they are, Graham makes some pointed -- and poignant -- observations about life in the age of social media and smartphones. Graham is nine years older than I am, and the OLJ passages reaffirmed what I've known for some time: that I have far more in common, culturally speaking, with folks a decade older than me -- those of us in Generation X -- than those a decade younger. I know what she means when she writes: "Spend some time with just yourself and your thoughts and nothing to do. How else will you learn who you are?" It ain't easy being the last generation in human history to retain memory of the bygone analog world, and Graham's ruminations on what that means, though hardly comprehensive, reflect the anxieties of Gen X that aren't, I'm my view, expressed often enough (for our fear of seeming prematurely old and obsolete).

In addition, there are even some interesting insights into the craft of writing, like Graham's analysis of the two Hollywood archetypes she's most often played: Gal About Town and The Mom. She also includes some interesting advice from screenwriter Don Roos about how to best manage one's writing time.

This memoir has absolutely zero pretensions, and I read it in less than a day -- and enjoyed every page. Who says a Hollywood autobiography needs to trade in scandal in order to be entertaining? As much as I love Graham on the screen, I can't wait to read more of her on the page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talking as Fast as I Can.

January 17, 2017 – Started Reading