Samantha Beard's Reviews > Digging in the Stars

Digging in the Stars by Katherine Blakeney

Feb 12, 2017

This book earns a very solid 4.5 from me, but I round up. I enjoyed it for so many reasons. There's a big emphasis on science and archaeological exploration that I found engaging and thoughtful. There are tons of references for both history & science geeks alike. I loved the world of Thror. This book never takes itself too seriously, so it's a refreshing twist on a lot of modern sci-fi that can be too dark or aloof. This is a human science fiction tale with human characters using their adventure to all deal with their own unique struggles.

Though I loved the experience of reading this book, I often felt that it was slightly verbose which led me to put it down after a single chapter each day. After getting more engaged in the story and the characters I didn't have this problem.

One of my favorite things about the book was the development of the Furry Giants and the Stratinites. These are two races that inhabit the planet Thror, and I thought they were wonderfully brought to life throughout the book. Katherine Blakeney even used some abnormal human brain function to create the normal functioning of her alien races which I found fascinating. I love seeing stories work in elements of real science into fantasy stories in a small way.

Ultimatley, I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has even a passing interest in archaeology, or who ever enjoyed watching documentaries on Tutankhamun or The Mummy. Carter makes a great main character with a lot of ambition. All the girls bring something great to the table, including humor, intrigue, and great one liners from the Professor. I really enjoyed digging into this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Digging in the Stars.

January 19, 2017 – Shelved