Douglas Sherk's Reviews > Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford

Jan 19, 2017

A fantastic look at the most misunderstood villain of our time, Genghis Khan. For the first half of the book, I felt almost like I was there in the Steppe with the Great Khan as he unified the Mongolian tribes and conquered the lands around them.

Why would you want to read this book? If you're anything like me, it's appealing to read the story of a leader who went from having absolutely nothing, to commanding vast armies across continents. Most interestingly to me, Genghis Khan did this by controlling his ego and thinking rationally about the challenges that he faced.

The research and pacing of this book are both very well done. Where it falls short is in the last 1/3 or so, where it reads almost like a completely different author's work. It's still interesting, but it loses the depth and storytelling elements of the first 2/3.

It also seemed like it might be overly flattering of Genghis Khan. He was misunderstood, no doubt, but I got the sense that some of his mistakes and atrocities were glossed over for the purpose of hyping up the central theme of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World.

November 10, 2016 – Started Reading