Pamela 's Reviews > The Confession

The Confession by John Grisham

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed

When you pick up a Grisham book it’s like taking a big gamble. I find his books to be either amazing or just plain awful. For me this one leans towards the latter.

I’m not going to go into too much detail about what the novel is about as there are plenty of reviews already written about it. I will say that this novel deals with the highly controversial issue of the Death Penalty.

I have to say that this book did not move slowly but fast. Too fast at times. Grisham goes back and forth from the present to the past and also between so many other characters, a lot of whom just felt like fillers for the book. When I finished the book I couldn’t help but wonder if he based the novel on real events with elements of fiction or if he just wanted to portray his thoughts and opinions on the issue. I also felt the book was way too long, the characters were not fully developed, you’re given just the bare minimum and as for being a legal thriller, it was anything but that. Reading a book like this novel, one would only hope for some suspense and drama, both of which was clearly lacking. There were a lot of things going on throughout but because of its simplicity they were completely boring.

I have to say I don’t think I’ll read any of his books again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confession.

Finished Reading
July 24, 2011 – Shelved
September 8, 2011 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Kathy Chung Agree with you

MARGO I agree it was just plain awful and painful to read - nearly bored me to death.

Levi P Terrible

message 4: by Arie (new)

Arie Agree completely, the trial details were so drawn out and boring. Also, do not read Playing for Pizza.

Prakhar Saxena I agree with you about this book but if you want to read some good books of grisham. Pl read The Runaway Jury, The Street Lawyer, The Firm, The Rainmaker etc. these are good books. I can suggest more of his good books if you like