Lila Hunter's Reviews > The Heart of the Lost Star

The Heart of the Lost Star by Megan Derr

bookshelves: 2017-arc-netgalley, 2017-arc-strw, zz-08-uc-mm

Originally review for Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words.

The Heart of the Lost Star brings two lonely men together despite their differences. They come from different stations in life and have achieved success through hard work. They complement each other and understand their need for independence and to have space to take their own decisions.

Some of those decisions put them at odds with their families, the court, and those around them that want to control their lives or feel the need to look down at them due to their circumstances. Throughout the story, we experience how they deal with all this and the future they built, separate and as a couple.

This is an unorthodox romance story since the characters spent more time apart than together. Even so, their relationship works and we get invested in their journeys. We do follow their courtship from the distance and that allows the reader to experience, in real time, what the characters did.

The differences between genders and nonbinary characters are shown a bit more in this installment. I need to admit that I didn’t realize them during the first two books in the series. The author did an excellent job integrating all the information between the culture and world-build. Every small detail added to the overall feeling of place in the story.

We also get updates about the previous couples and they do play a recurring role. Also, we learn more about the relationship between the kingdoms and their geography, politics, and culture. And during the story, as it is to be expected, we get small hints about the next story in the series, The Mercenaries of the Stolen Moon.

The cover by John Coulthart follows the style of the previous two books. It’s beautiful and it fits the story to perfection, showing us a profile view of Jader and Benta.

ARC provided by Less Than Three Press, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart of the Lost Star.

January 19, 2017 – Shelved
January 19, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 19, 2017 – Shelved as: arc-to-review
August 5, 2017 – Started Reading
August 5, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-arc-netgalley
August 5, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-arc-strw
August 5, 2017 –
10.0% "I should have known better. It's impossible to read only a couple of pages in this series. There go my plans for the weekend. Hello, Jader & Kamir."
August 5, 2017 –
60.0% "Trying to read as fast as I can. Who needs to go to bed..."
August 5, 2017 –
76.0% ""Would they want to be a boy? A girl? Something in between or neither?" <3"
August 6, 2017 –
100.0% "4:28 AM Officially time for bed now that I'm done reading. :-)"
August 6, 2017 – Shelved as: zz-08-uc-mm