Kailey (BooksforMKs)'s Reviews > Dead Endings

Dead Endings by Jessica Chavez

it was ok

Ever since Cailen had a near-death experience, she can see ghosts. They hang around, bothering her, and because her internal defenses are weak, they can sometimes possess her body.
Her roommate, Gabriella, is a spiritualist who has a better grasp on exorcising ghosts, and Cailen is happy to leave all the ghost-hunting to her friend and go on ignoring the spirits as much as possible.
Everett is a student reporter who is convinced that a recent series of murders needs some ghost experts to investigate, and he drags the reluctant Cailen into the mystery.

This is a total departure from the type of books I usually read. I don't like horror or ghosts, but I thought I would pick this up because it looked more funny and sarcastic than scary. But then I was disappointed that there's a lot of alcohol and profanity in this book. It was almost unreadable because of all the nasty words.

I really liked the ghost-busting trio, Cailen, Gabriella, and Everett! They are sarcastic and witty and kind of strange. These guys are exactly what hipster characters OUGHT to be; not what pop culture says wanna-be hipsters are. It's odd that I liked them all, because usually I don't like cynical characters. Half the time they are drunk though, so that was stupid.

The writing is good, with a snarky attitude that makes you want to chuckle sardonically into your Thai iced coffee. I liked the mystery of the ghostly murders, and how the plot came together in a surprising way! The plot is what really kept me reading. I just HAD to know what was going on with those weird murders! All the suspense and excitement... I couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting.

If I were a person who liked ghost stories, and if I were a person who didn't mind drunken characters, and if I were a person who didn't mind profanity.... I would have easily given this 4 stars.

Seriously, a surprising amount of this book is focused on alcohol. So much stupid detail... what they were drinking in every scene, and how did they drink it, and what did the bottle say, and on and on. The author appears to be obsessed with it. It was just annoyed and gross.

I completely adored the few illustrations and wish there were more! I thought it was so cute that there's a little comic at the back of the book. I really could imagine the characters in detail from seeing the artwork.

Disclaimer: I received this book in a giveaway from the author. All the opinions stated here are my own honest thoughts and are not influenced by anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Endings.

January 18, 2017 – Shelved
January 18, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 26, 2017 – Started Reading
March 26, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Chavez Thank you again for sticking with it even with the parts you weren't keen on! Appreciate the feedback.