Maverynthia's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

May 01, 2017

liked it

The worst thing about this book is that it's boring. Nothing really happens until about 80%. Everything else is just kind of a slow burn.

There is a love triangle going on. Though I'm kind of glad it doesn't get super annoying and Xander actually helps Cassia out in the end.
Overall though there was too much about Ky and not enough about Cassia. Ultimately it is a story about a woman pining after a boy.

I don't know what the diversity quotient is, given of course that nobody's skin is describe so I assume white.
Girl hate was on the low to non-existant end. There doesn't seem to be a lot of sexism either..only because the characters really do nothing.

So if you like slow books where not much happens, that are sort of sci-fi-y 1984 big brother is watching. Then this book might be for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

January 18, 2017 – Started Reading
January 18, 2017 – Shelved
January 18, 2017 –
3.0% "While shitty YA is fun in groups. Sometimes you need to go it alone.\n\nLet's see how this book fares"
January 23, 2017 –
7.0% "Starts out the typical way. Cassia describing how straight her nose is and now green her eyes are and how her hair is blong but just brown enough to not be too blond. =_ ="
February 2, 2017 –
12.0% "So we have some Logan's Run, mixed with some 1984? Mixed with some "Big Brother is Watching You" also I think we are going to have a love triangle and single parents are evil."
February 18, 2017 –
25.0% "If you get past the mayo casting I really can't find anything offensive yet in this book. That being said..... I can't find anything that really stands out in this book either. It's a by the numbers "controlled society" story. Complete with rogue element."
February 24, 2017 –
30.0% "I'm getting Shin Sekai Yori vibes from this too. Now she has to destro y this old paper because....

I mean it's been hidden in her compact forever so why suddenly does she need to get rid of it?"
March 2, 2017 –
39.0% "Likes to shame people who rely on medicine for anxiety by calling them weak. Compare that to "You are stronger than that" when Cassia wants to use the green pill (the calming pill).

She also just doesn't care about anything. Loves her grandfather but incinerated his poems.
Also betting the 100 everythings are slanted toward male works."
March 6, 2017 –
48.0% "Cyna and Ollie would love this book. it's got white people galore, love triangles everywhere and a plot that goes nowhere fast!"
March 27, 2017 –
60.0% "So 60% and the plot hasn't started yet. This seems to have been a teenage love triangle book shoved into a control state future setting simply to give the reason that Cassia can't fall for the bad boy and has to play this love triangle.
Also Ky wants to talk about himself to Cas instead of letting her speak about herself any."
April 3, 2017 –
70.0% "Still not much going on other than Cassia is getting into trouble and that society is shit and poisons people they consider "menial"."
April 26, 2017 –
85.0% "85% and FINALLY something happens"
May 1, 2017 – Finished Reading