Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~'s Reviews > Morning Star

Morning Star by Pierce Brown

bookshelves: audiobook, favorites, year-2017, 5-star

I will say that for me, this is one of the best series I have read within it's genre. This will probably serve as more of a review for the whole series instead of just Morning Star because it's easier that way.

I have a personal opinion about one thing I would've changed, but it's very much subjective & I'll go into more detail about that later.

This series is such a lovely mix of everything I appreciate in my stories. Believable, flawed characters... sweeping political narratives... intense action scenes... morally gray decisions... Grecian inspiration... love, loss, & triumph... it's bloodydamn near perfect.

I have said in every one of my reviews that you should give this series a try. Now I'm adding it to my list of "Books/Series to Read Before You Die".

An absolutely beautiful ending to this series, I applaud Pierce Brown for writing this & I'm thankful I finally overcame the hype to let this wonderful story into my life.

***FROM THIS POINT FORWARD THERE WILL BE UNMARKED SPOILERS***

So I want to talk about how much I loved Darrow as our main character for just a moment. I have said to a couple of my friends that he is an excellent character, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I would hang out with him in real life. The man is so self-righteous I was drowning!

He. Is. Flawed. OH SO FLAWED. But that's what makes him so great. The best part of his development for me was the slow & steady metamorphosis of his view on Eo & their relationship after her death. Darrow realizes over time that Eo's view on this society was limited, that she couldn't have understood what it was she was asking Darrow to take on. He understands that the love they shared was foundational to who he becomes, but that it couldn't have existed beyond the bounds of their slavery in Lykos. Such an amazing change to watch him go through.

I simultaneously loved and hated him as he weaved his way through this plot. ALL THOSE BETRAYALS. Lord it's a wonder he made it to the end of this series in one piece, I truly thought we were going to say goodbye to our little hell diver before it was all over.

And I must say, I would've been fine if that were how this story ended. I think killing off Darrow maybe would've been a touch too depressing though since this series is already an absolute bloodbath. Even if it would've been a more realistic ending, it would've been jolting for the last little snippet of the book to be told from third person or from the first person perspective of another character.

That brings me to the perspective, I actually do not care much for first person in general. It can come off as whiny, and the limited insight sometimes prevents me from connecting to other characters. However, this series does it as well as it can be done.

I actually had no trouble connecting to these characters, I adored every one of them in some way. Victra with her unabashed flirting, her brutal honesty & secret longing to be better. Cassius' jovial heart, burdened by the weight of family honor. Ragnar as he blossomed under the realization that he could "live for more." The entire Telemanus clan! What a lovable bunch of cinnamon rolls! Antonia, so selfish & cunning. Even the Jackal, vicious & intelligent & cold as ice.

But I have to give a particular shout out to my fave Sevro! God, what a wonderful little shithead he is! Comic relief taken to another level. I truly fell head over heels for Sevro (as many of us have) from the very first installment. Ohhhh how I screamed when I thought Brown had actually snuffed him out of this world. I literally screamed. But since he didn't actually stay dead, I won't have to call off my marriage to Brown. AWOOOOOHHHHHHH!

The setting of this society was so gloriously terrible. So many times I felt like there was no possible way it could be overthrown. The Golds seemed completely impenetrable, especially in their loyalty. I thought Roque was such an excellent example of how completely dedicated the general Gold population was to their ideals of superiority. And even if a Gold doesn't consider the race superior, how do you upend the foundation of your society when they'll kill you at the drop of a hat?

That's something I just found so amazing about this world, the structure worked but it was hell on earth for every color. This is where the comparisons to The Hunger Games really fall short. This world put even it's highest ranking society members through the ringer, and no one is safe regardless of their color. I loved it.

The science fiction elements to this story I very much appreciated, as it's not often you find a dystopian series that is equal parts dedicated to being both brutal & scientifically intricate. I am a lover of science fiction, and I found myself super intrigued by the aspects of this world, the holocubes, the concept of "carving", the space travel, etc.

I don't know this from personal experience, as I've never read Game of Thrones, but I got the sense that this must be what fans of that series feel like when they read George R. R. Martin's books. All I kept thinking was "Ok, who the hell is he going to kill off next!?", and it was just so much fun going through all these twists and turns.

When Cassius first tries to kill Darrow? When the Jackal's identity is revealed? When Cassius declares a blood feud with Darrow? When Darrow punishes himself to teach Tactus the meaning of brotherhood? When Mustang corners Darrow on Lykos after discovering he's a red? When Aja kills Quinn? When Tactus steals Lysander? When the jammer destroys their ambush plan & everyone almost dies in the arctic?? When Antonia kills Thistle?? When Darrow nearly kills Cassius at the gala? When Roque betrays Cassius and shows him the head of Aries in a box!? WHEN I THOUGHT CASSIUS KILLED SEVRO!?!?!

Lord have mercy, there's no chance to get your breath! But it's wonderful.

Now I want to discuss the one thing I would change about this series that would have put it absolutely over the edge of brilliant for me.

I believe The Jackal should have been a woman instead of a man.

I will provide a disclaimer and say this series actually handles women very well. There are plenty of female characters, diverse and interesting personalities. In fact there may even be just as many female characters as there are male characters.

BUT...

I feel like a female Jackal would have been absolutely terrifying...

Sovereign Octavia, Aja, and Antonia are all female villains in this series and they do a lovely job filling the role. They truly do. This is an entirely subjective opinion on my part.

Think of this though:
~ A young girl of ten actually paying someone off to kill her older brother, the favorite of the house and heir to the family name.
~ A girl completely unable to connect with her twin after their mother commits suicide, even as the universe has ordained a special type of bond should exist between the two.
~ A female leader turned cannibal in the throws of the institute, forced into a battle with The Reaper of Mars in which he manipulates her into sawing through her own hand.
~ A young woman, rogue to all parties in this war of races, manipulative & heartless. A complete antithesis to Mustang.
~ A young woman who is made up of severe intelligence & cold calculation.

We hardly ever get to see women occupy this devastatingly brutal kind of role, and the character would've been 10x more powerful for me in this form.

HOWEVER, that is a very small change in the grand scheme of things. I did not let this one criticism affect my rating, as I don't feel that is really fair on my part.

I adore this series overall, and I am very glad to have read it. A wonderful way to kick off my reading year!

Buddy Read with this amazing howlers:
Petrik's review
Sarah's review
Celeste's review
Jennymort's review
Tweebsies' review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morning Star.

January 18, 2017 – Started Reading
January 18, 2017 – Shelved
January 18, 2017 –
30.0% "I will be dead by the time I finish this series. Literally in the ground, six feet under."
January 19, 2017 –
January 21, 2017 –
92.0% "WELL OK SOMEONE PLEASE JUST END ME I AM DONE WITH THIS *screams*"
January 21, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
January 21, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobook
January 21, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 4, 2017 – Shelved as: year-2017
May 29, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ Come join me sister!!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ *lags forever behind*

I'm *pant* coming *pant* just a few *pant* MORE HEARTBREAKS *pant*!!

Petrik aaaawwwwwwhoooooooooooo

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Petrik wrote: "aaaawwwwwwhoooooooooooo"

I WILL BE FINISHING THIS TOMORROW *SCREAMS*

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ *SCREEEEECH* ahem *cough* *AAAAAAWWWWWWWWHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!*

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Jenn *The Dark Lord Scribe, House of Slytheread* wrote: "*SCREEEEECH* ahem *cough* *AAAAAAWWWWWWWWHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!*"

HAHAHA I love ya'll so much

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) I dont care how late I am but Im joining in on this but *cough* aaawwwwwwhhooooooooooooooooooo YOLO

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Hahahaha Tweebsies you can join into the howl whenever you so desire my sweet

message 10: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Fantastic review Mary. Your thoughts on a female Jackal was well thought out.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Lee wrote: "Fantastic review Mary. Your thoughts on a female Jackal was well thought out."

Awh Lee thank you so much!! <3 I really just love that concept I was thinking about for the entirety of the last two books!

Celeste Fantastic review, love! Very well done!!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Celeste wrote: "Fantastic review, love! Very well done!!"

Thank you Celeste!! *sobs on your shoulder*

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ SANA DIDN'T LIKE THIS! I'm gonna go cry now...

message 15: by Sana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sana JENN IT WAS JUST THE FIRST BOOK. I'LL TRY TO LOVE THE NEXT TWO. I IS SORRY. PLS DON'T CRY

Petrik Perfect! This is your best review so far love! So full of spoilers though! Anyway, i'm happy I found someone who really love Darrow's character!! We gave the same exact rating to this series so i'm pretty sure your love for this series is as much as mine since it's in my favorite series of all time too. Fantastic review love, so happy to BR this masterpiece with you. *AWWWWHHHOOOOO*

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ *awwwwwwhooooooooo*

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ Sana wrote: "JENN IT WAS JUST THE FIRST BOOK. I'LL TRY TO LOVE THE NEXT TWO. I IS SORRY. PLS DON'T CRY"

ALL THE TEARS!

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) I swear, is jennymort and I the only ones who are incapable of writing a proper review for this??? How do you guys divide your emotions and thoughts a part?? Y'all gotta teach us this because I COULDNT EVEN WRITE A SENTENCE WITHOUT MY EMOTIONS FUCKING WITH MY MIND LOL =)

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ RIGHT TWEEBS! LIKE DAYUMN! *sobs uncontrollably under blankets in the dark* can you tell i still can't get over it!?

message 21: by Sana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sana Jenn *The Dark Lord Scribe, House of Slytheread* wrote: "Sana wrote: "JENN IT WAS JUST THE FIRST BOOK. I'LL TRY TO LOVE THE NEXT TWO. I IS SORRY. PLS DON'T CRY"

ALL THE TEARS!"

I feel guilty now.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Petrik wrote: "Perfect! This is your best review so far love! So full of spoilers though! Anyway, i'm happy I found someone who really love Darrow's character!! We gave the same exact rating to this series so i'm..."

Thank you so much Petrik that is so sweet to say!! I felt like it was impossible to really write this one without spoilers even though generally I like to so everyone can read it :D I'm glad we got to read this one together too! An amazing experience even if I was a little behind you all the whole time heehee <3

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Jenn *The Dark Lord Scribe, House of Slytheread* wrote: "SANA DIDN'T LIKE THIS! I'm gonna go cry now..."

I KNOW I WAS SAD *cries with you*

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Sana wrote: "Jenn *The Dark Lord Scribe, House of Slytheread* wrote: "Sana wrote: "JENN IT WAS JUST THE FIRST BOOK. I'LL TRY TO LOVE THE NEXT TWO. I IS SORRY. PLS DON'T CRY"

ALL THE TEARS!"

I feel guilty now."

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Tweebs☯ wrote: "I swear, is jennymort and I the only ones who are incapable of writing a proper review for this??? How do you guys divide your emotions and thoughts a part?? Y'all gotta teach us this because I COU..."

Tweebs!! Lol honestly I just sat down and started writing the MINUTE I finished this & it just poured out of me haha! I was feelin' all kinds of fucked up tho & I still am don't worry!!

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "DON'T FEEL GUILTY but I truly do hope you enjoy the rest of this series more IT IS SO GOOD GIRL *rocks back in forth in a corner til you finish*"

Same here. *rocks back and forth*

edge of bubble The best part of his development for me was the slow & steady metamorphosis of his view on Eo & their relationship after her death.

this development was best part for me too! I hate and I mean bloody hate EO. and Darrow going on and on about her always made me want to rub his head on walls. him taking her off of her pedestal was relieving at the least. awesome review my friend!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Awh thank you Bubbles!! <333 Tbh I had a very love/hate relationship with Darrow's view of Eo. On one hand I appreciated how passionate he was about upholding her cause, but the break down of that passion was SO important to the story! I loved watching him realize just how ignorant Eo truly was about her own ideals was SO SATISFYING. I think that readjustment of mentality speaks to how strong of a person Darrow is. :D

edge of bubble I agree with you! in the end I think he saw, he was the one with dreams.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ This is such a beautiful series :')

edge of bubble I am so sad I finished them... I wish it had more books.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ It will!! Very soon!! I'm so excited for Iron Gold!!

edge of bubble me too! can't wait to read it O.O

message 34: by Petrik (last edited Jan 27, 2017 07:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik I miss Darrow and the gang. Can't wait for Iron Gold too!!

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ Petrik wrote: "I miss Darrow and the gang. Can't wait for Iron Gold too!!"

Same!!!!!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Lol we are all crazy about this series and I love it so much!!

Petrik Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Lol we are all crazy about this series and I love it so much!!"

I bloodydamn agree with you love! :)

Frankie Lovely Paragraph 2 past the spoil warning! This! A thousand times this! I have wanted to say those words to people when they complain about it early on because ... this! But I can't.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ *throws Red Rising party but with less blood & more cake*

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Awh Frankie thank you!! I know!! Sometimes you just have to give characters time to grow on you, or give the author a chance to mold their characters into something amazing!!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Thanks so much Craig!! Lololol *makes finger guns with hands* :'D