Janine's Reviews > A Dance with Dragons

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

Martin wrote in the acknowledgments that "The last one was a bitch" and it shows. I don't know what to make of this book. I'm sad about only giving 3 stars but at the same time I feel like those 3 stars were generous. I just didn't really care for this book that much which is sad because I love the series as a whole.
Before I started reading "A Feast for Crows" I've been hearing that people thought this was Martin's weakest book in the SoFaI series so far, so imagine my surprise when I've found myself enjoying it immensely. Thus, I initially had high expectations for book 5.
I think part of the problem with "A Dance with Dragons" stems from its length. Yes, all of Martin's book are long and I have no problem with that. It is refreshing to have such rich world building but in this book, its length really showed. I found myself almost skipping through some chapters or passages.
Whether you enjoy this book or not is of course dependent on one's favorite characters. I'm quite the Lannister girl myself, so book 4 was a dream come true. Book 5 put mostly Daenerys and Jon and a lot of the Greyjoys in the spotlight. While I've always been intrigued by Dany's and Jon's storylines, they didn't really grab or thrill me this time around. Sure, during the last chapters this all changed. Martin has a way of putting his characters through hell and leaving you with cliffhangers that have you biting your nails like crazy.
The amount of Greyjoys was definitely something that I didn't enjoy. At times there were multiple chapters in a row of "background" characters that I just didn't care about and it was hard getting through those.

This may sound all negative, but despite its many flaws "A Dance with Dragons" is still a worthwhile read and a nice addition to this fantastic book series. It'll be interesting to see where Martin takes his characters next and what turmoils lie ahead for them.
Let's hope for book 6 Martin can deliver something on par with "A Storm of Swords".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dance with Dragons.

July 24, 2011 – Shelved
January 20, 2012 –
page 384
January 21, 2012 –
page 460
44.23% "Blah. How many more of these boring chapters in a row?"
January 21, 2012 –