Cody | codysbookshelf's Reviews > Dolores Claiborne

Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King

bookshelves: favorites, stephen-king

Five stars for one of my very favorite Stephen King stories: the enthralling and legendary 1993 novel, Dolores Claiborne.

As old as this book is, and considering it was made into a big budget film starring Kathy Bates (my favorite King adaption, by the way), almost everyone knows the plot — so I won't rehash too much. But I will say this is the story of a woman — easily the strongest woman King has ever created, and simply one of the best damn female main characters I've ever come across in fiction. This is her story — her confessional — all told in first-person Maine dialect. The writing style is unique, something most authors wouldn't have been able to pull off . . . but King isn't most authors. Novels like this one are why he is my favorite writer, full stop.

There is so much I want to say about this book and I find I can't really say much at all. A complex, taut, fast-paced domestic thriller/drama/mystery, this ranks among King's most un-put-downable and intriguing. I defy any reader to finish the story and not think of Dolores from time to time.

A classic. A must-read. Etc.

Favorite Quote

"In the fifties... when they had their summer parties - there were always different colored lanterns on the lawn... and I get the funniest chill. In the end the bright colors always go out of life, have you noticed that? In the end, things always look gray, like a dress that's been washed too many times.”

King Connections

Several references to Shawshank prison are mentioned.

On page 226, Dolores is driving home on the day of the eclipse and takes note of the deserted roads — she comments on how they reminded her of "that small town downstate" where it is rumored "no one lives there anymore." A reference to 'Salem's Lot? I'll say maybe.

This is the 'sister' novel of Gerald's Game. Both books' most crucial moments take place on the day of the eclipse.

Up Next

It's a world of color, a world of darkness . . . It's Insomnia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dolores Claiborne.

January 17, 2017 – Shelved
page 336
April 28, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 29, 2017 – Shelved as: stephen-king
April 29, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Patrick (new) - added it

Patrick I've had this book on my bookshelf for quite a while now and I need to start reading it soon as possible, great book review Cody!

Cody | codysbookshelf Thanks! This one left me at a loss for words--I always find it to be even more powerful upon rereading--so I just threw some thoughts out there and hoped it made sense. :)

Beagle Lover (Avid Reader) Now you should watch the me mov[e starring Kathy Bates. It follows thé book fairly closely.

Cody | codysbookshelf Ah, yeah, love the movie! I've seen it countless times--it's one of my favorites. :)

Beagle Lover (Avid Reader) By the way, EXCELLENT review, Cody. Hope you enjoy Insomnia.