Al Philipson's Reviews > Sliding Void

4519287
Jan 17, 2017

liked it
Read in January, 2017

When I started this book, my reaction was "Hot diggidy! This guy can WRITE!" I was dragged into the story immediately. Not only that, but the writing was evocative, the characters were developed, and, as far as I can see, error-free (which is very difficult to pull off -- even with professional editing).

But then I hit the half-way mark and the story ground to a screeching halt and bogged down into trivia. After that, it was mostly like slogging through hip-deep quicksand until the last scene (he writes really good action scenes). It was almost as if the author needed more words and started stuffing whatever he could think of into it to "flesh it out".

This book is an unabashed set-up for the series. The hope being that you'll buy the follow-on books and as such, it has a huge hole at the end. If you want to find out what happens next, you have to lay down some scratch to see.

The book is "90 pages" short and it looks like the next book in the series is about the same length. I don't know how that translates into number of words (maybe 25,000 words?), and that's just a novella.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sliding Void.

01/17 marked as: read