Lauren's Reviews > The Speaker

The Speaker by Traci Chee

bookshelves: pub-penguin

I love this series and this book lives up to it well. Sefia and Archer are the heart of the story, but this is an intricately woven tale with many converging storylines. I was never bored while reading this and couldn't wait to find out what new adventures and revelations they discovered next.

One of the most important characters in this story is The Book. What it is and what it says and whether everything written in it is inevitable is explored in greater detail. Is it possible to run from your destiny - in this case, what is already written? Sefia and Archer and all the other characters continue to grapple with this question, sometimes in painful and brutal ways.

Sefia and Archer are one of my favorite YA couples. I love them so much, including the way they have supported each other even through the most brutal of times. Things get very intense in this story with the introduction of the bloodletters, but despite it all, Archer has a sweetness in his soul that rings off the page. Still, these two make some mistakes in this story that really shook me, and I'm struggling with how to come to terms with them. (view spoiler)

One of the most surprising (and relieving!) aspects of this book is that it doesn't end on a cliffhanger. It definitely ends in the middle of the tale, and a lot of intense and scary things are to come. But for the moment, the action has settled down and the characters are not in immediate danger. I was thankful for that small miracle.

I'm still trying to decide how to rate this. There is one thing that is driving down my rating from a 5 star. Its definitely at least 4, but I don't know if I can push that up to a 4.5. I need to think about it. But overall, this is a strong and lovely sequel that expands this world and its characters into much greater complexity.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Speaker.

January 17, 2017 – Shelved
page 301
September 18, 2017 –
page 379
September 21, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Anne Just finished the book and everything in your review is spot on. Just wondering what's the thing that's driving it down to a 4 star rating?

message 2: by Lauren (last edited Nov 13, 2017 06:28AM) (new) - added it

Lauren Anne wrote: "Just finished the book and everything in your review is spot on. Just wondering what's the thing that's driving it down to a 4 star rating?"

(view spoiler)

Anne Lauren wrote: "Anne wrote: "Just finished the book and everything in your review is spot on. Just wondering what's the thing that's driving it down to a 4 star rating?"

[spoilers removed]"

message 4: by Lauren (last edited Nov 14, 2017 07:23AM) (new) - added it

Lauren Anne wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Anne wrote: "Just finished the book and everything in your review is spot on. Just wondering what's the thing that's driving it down to a 4 star rating?"

[spoilers removed]"

Ahhh ..."

(view spoiler)

Anne Lauren wrote: "Anne wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Anne wrote: "Just finished the book and everything in your review is spot on. Just wondering what's the thing that's driving it down to a 4 star rating?"

[spoilers remo..."