Madi (TheBookNerdDiaries)'s Reviews > The Scarlet Letter

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Feb 13, 2017

did not like it
bookshelves: read-owned, kindle, previously-owned

I didn't like this book from the very beginning. I've never had good luck with classics anytime I've ever read one. So, they usually end up with one star and I've had to read them for a class. This one was just another classic I did not enjoy.

I didn't understand that this one was fiction within fiction until my teacher told our class it was because I was already so lost and bored with it, I couldn't keep track of what was going on. I switched to the audiobook because the font was so small in my hard copy that I couldn't focus on one line. I also found the Kindle edition for free so that helped a lot as well. I honestly couldn't have cared less about Hester's story, I just wanted for it to be over with. I just wanted Hester to take off the dang letter and leave New England so I didn't have to read it anymore.

This book was not great, it was boring as heck.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scarlet Letter.

January 17, 2017 – Started Reading
January 17, 2017 – Shelved
January 17, 2017 –
page 4
2.72% "The font in this edition is a little small, so I think I'm gonna follow along with the audiobook instead."
January 26, 2017 –
page 4
2.72% "I need to get halfway on this by next week... *frantically pulls up audiobook*"
January 29, 2017 –
page 28
January 29, 2017 –
page 36
January 31, 2017 –
page 41
27.89% "Just wasted almost a half and hour listening to an audiobook that claimed to be chapter 4 but I can't even tell which one it was. The one I'm listening to has such a thick accent I can barely understand and I tried to find another but I couldn't..."
January 31, 2017 –
page 89
60.54% "TBH I skipped a lot of chapters b/c this is super boring... #sorrynotsorry"
February 12, 2017 –
page 101
68.71% "What even is this book anymore???"
February 13, 2017 – Shelved as: read-owned
February 13, 2017 – Finished Reading
April 13, 2018 – Shelved as: kindle
April 13, 2018 – Shelved as: previously-owned

Kelby (Toes In the Sand) I read this in high school (years ago...lol) and had a very hard time getting through it. I seem to have an issue with classics and I don't know why :(

Madi (TheBookNerdDiaries) KoffeeBreakWithKelby wrote: "I read this in high school (years ago...lol) and had a very hard time getting through it. I seem to have an issue with classics and I don't know why :("

It's the same way for me as well. I don't do very well with classics either. I think for me it's the way they are written and the "old-timey" (???) language that makes it so that I rarely enjoy them.

Kelby (Toes In the Sand) Yep, same issue here!! I sometimes feel in the minority when it comes to classics so I'm glad someone else feels the same way I do!!