Adria (Musings and Reviews)'s Reviews > The Protector

Feb 14, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: read-and-reviewed

Originally posted on Adria's Romance Reviews
* A copy of this book was and provided by the publisher via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review. All conclusions are my own responsibility and I was not compensated for this review.

What’s it About? The action and suspense continues with Cullen Loughman. His father has been kidnapped and in order to find him, Cullen has to team up with ex-Air Force pilot Mia Carter. With the situation getting more and more dangerous each minute, their attraction to one another is inconvenient and could put them in even more danger.

Describe the hero in five words: Stubborn. Charming. Skilled. Cocky. Intelligent.

Did you like him? Yes.

Why? Cullen wasn’t as bitter as his two brothers but he had his own share of resentment towards his father. What I loved about him (and even his brothers) was that no matter what problems he had with his father it wasn’t going to stop him from doing whatever he had to in order to rescue him. I felt like Cullen was easier to get to know than his brother Owen. Cullen was definitely more humorous and had a fun side to him that gave him that extra dose of likability. His selling point to me though was his ability to not only acknowledge Mia as a fully capable partner but to depend on her when it was clear she had the better information. So far Cullen’s less intense personality paired with his undeniable charm makes him the favorite Loughman.

Describe the heroine in five words: Skilled. Snarky. Stubborn. Capable. Kind.

Did you like her? Yes.

Why? Mia quickly proved her ability to look after herself in a dangerous situation but she also knew when she needed help. I loved that about her but it was also her vulnerable side that got me. Here is this rough and tough woman who has seen and done a lot but she’s also this kind hearted woman who doesn’t want to get her heart stomped on. Mia had a good balance between her Air Force training and her empathy as a person. She was kind of impossible not to like.

How convincing were the main characters as a couple? Cullen and Mia had the chemistry between them to build a believable connection and while they did work their way towards that enviable romance, I felt like they didn’t quite make it. To me it felt like some parts of the evolution of the romance were either missing or happened “off page.”

Is there a “Scooby Gang” worth mentioning? The Protector along with the previous book and I’m assuming the last book all take place at the same time and the brothers have split up to throw off the enemy so the scenes with them together are few and far between.

How “Lost” did you get in the story? The Protector had a great pace to it but was a little slow to get to the heart of the plot. The suspense and mystery was there the whole time though which is what kept me going during those times where there was a bit of a lull in anything happening. Donna Grant did such a good job keeping me interested in the bigger picture spanning all three books and while some questions were answered, I feel that the biggest ones are yet to come to light in Wyatt’s book. As with the first book though, I felt that the romance suffered in favor of the action and suspense elements, but there was an insight into the Loughman family dynamics and a general explanation as to why Cullen seems to be the more happy go lucky of the three brothers. I have to mention that while Cullen and Mia do get a HEA, the bigger plot is still unresolved, probably so that Wyatt’s book can be the closer on the Orrin/The Saints conflict.

Click It or Skip It? Click It. The mystery of Orrin’s disappearance, the brothers’ rocky relationship with him, and of course the battle between the Loughmans and the bad guys is more than enough to keep readers interested.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Protector.

January 17, 2017 – Started Reading