Adria (Musings and Reviews)'s Reviews > River of Time: My Descent into Depression and How I Emerged with Hope

River of Time by Naomi Judd

Feb 15, 2017

bookshelves: read-and-reviewed

Originally posted on Adria's Romance Reviews
* A copy of this book was and provided by the publisher via NetGalley/Edelweiss for the purpose of an honest review. All conclusions are my own responsibility and I was not compensated for this review.

What’s it About? To many, Naomi Judd is a superstar, one half of the country duo The Judds but River of Time isn’t about her life as a celebrity. It is more of a documentary about her life with treatment resistant depression and anxiety and Ms. Judd doesn’t hold back at all.

River of Time painted a raw, honest picture of one woman’s struggle with depression and anxiety that I found completely relatable. I too suffer from depression, I was diagnosed with it at 14 and now at 32 am still struggling to cope, and find a treatment that works for me. I didn’t pick up this book because I was searching for an answer to my depression but rather to remember that I am not alone in dealing with depression. Naomi Judd knows what it feels like, she can describe the symptoms in vivid detail, and she was candid about how certain treatments affected her and in fact made things worse for her. Ms. Judd didn’t shy away from discussing her early traumas and abuse and how they shaped her as a person throughout her life.

What I found interesting was that Naomi has kept herself well informed about depression over the years. Not just from her personal experience but by reading the latest medical facts, yes I know she was an RN before her musical career took off but her dedication to learning as much as she can about depression is nothing short of admirable. The irony here is that while Ms. Judd is part of the medical community, that same community is painted in an unflattering light due to the way it handles the treatment of mental illnesses.

I felt like Ms. Judd truly wants to understand as much as she can about a mental illness that effects many people and carries a stigma that often keeps people from seeking help. Ms. Judd encourages people to seek help but also to not limit themselves to only “traditional” treatments. Sometimes it takes more than one treatment, sometimes a person has to keep trying different ones before they find one that works and that’s okay. Everyone’s depression is NOT the same as evidenced by her own treatment resistant depression. By the end of River of Time I felt like I had a champion in Naomi Judd, it sounds silly but depression can be very isolating and to know of someone who understands how you feel because they feel it too is a relief. It’s not a perfect book by far, there is an element of drama to it that I didn’t care for, but for the most part it was an eye opener.

Click It or Skip It? Click It. For me the raw honesty of Naomi Judd’s struggles in River of Time served as a reminder that depression isn’t something that can be treated with the same method, nor is it an illness that discriminates. I felt a little more hopeful that I too could fight and find a way to live a happy life.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read River of Time.

January 16, 2017 – Started Reading