Adria (Musings and Reviews)'s Reviews > Call to Honor

Call to Honor by Tawny Weber

Jan 16, 2017

bookshelves: read-and-reviewed

Originally posted on Adria's Musings and Reviews (Blog post MAY have additional content such as playlists, interviews, giveaways, etc).
* A copy of this book was and provided by the publisher via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review. All conclusions are my own responsibility and I was not compensated for this review.

What’s it About? Call to Honor is the first book in a new series by Tawny Weber and it centers around the Poseidon Team, a group of highly trained SEALs, the fallout of a mission gone wrong, a dead team member whose body is missing, and a traitor among them. Lieutenant Diego Torres wants answers and single mom Harper MacLean has them. Harper on the other hand just wants to start a new life and raise her son. She doesn’t like all the questions Diego keeps asking her about her past and her son’s father but his persistence and her attraction to him end up putting them all in danger.

Describe the hero in five words: Honorable. Persistent. Intelligent. Loyal. Charming.
Did you like him? Yes.
Why? I really liked Diego. His childhood was less than ideal and I loved that he recognized his team mates as the family he needed and wanted. Weber didn’t just write a romance between Diego and Harper, she took the time to show just how close knit Diego and his team were and how the possibility of betrayal affected them. I was just as interested in Diego’s relationship with his teammates as I was in his romance with Harper. Both relationships revealed more of who Diego was than anything else. I liked his dedication to his team and later his dedication to Harper and her son. He was a solid, strong character and his dilemma of getting involved with Harper romantically while he was essentially spying on her made things a lot more interesting than if he hadn’t cared about using her.

Describe the heroine in five words: Kind. Funny. Smart. Loving. Strong.
Did you like her? Yes.
Why? Harper was no pushover and I loved that about her. Her independent streak and kind heart made her the perfect balance for Diego’s personality. Harper was so genuine but at the same time she didn’t trust easily. I felt that it took the whole book to really find out just who Harper was aside from a mother and I didn’t mind. She was delightful and when it came to sex, she was a mixture of confident vixen and vulnerable woman. She managed to infuse her own brand of humor into almost situation and that humor made her even more likable. I felt like she was someone I’d be happy to hang out with every once in awhile.

How convincing were the main characters as a couple? Physical chemistry is super important to me in a romance and Diego and Harper definitely had that sexy spark between them. They didn’t disappoint in the heat department and I expected that the emotional relationship would suffer for it. But it didn’t. Harper brought softness and light to Diego’s very serious life and I loved how their connection went from the physical to emotional. I loved them together.

Is there a “Scooby Gang” worth mentioning? As I said before, Diego’s relationship with his fellow SEALs was important to Call to Honor and I loved getting to know them a little better. They were an important part of getting to know Diego just like Harper’s son Nathan was an important part of getting to know Harper. All of them were likable and yes, I was surprised because I normally do not like kids in romances but Nathan was different.

How “Lost” did you get in the story? Call to Honor hits the ground running and takes the reader on a fast paced, intriguing romance with two entertaining and likable characters.

Diego and Harper’s story serves as an introduction to a new group of characters but I never felt like the romance suffered for the sake of introducing everything. It didn’t take me long to get lost in the story or to finish it.

Click It or Skip It? Click it. Especially if you love honorable Navy SEALs, plucky interior designers, and fast paced romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call to Honor.

January 16, 2017 – Started Reading
January 16, 2017 – Shelved
January 26, 2017 –
page 100
22.32% "Having a good time so far."
February 10, 2017 – Finished Reading