Adria (Musings and Reviews)'s Reviews > Fascinated

Mar 16, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: read-and-reviewed

Originally posted on Adria'sMusings and Reviews
* A copy of this book was and provided by the publisher via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review. All conclusions are my own responsibility and I was not compensated for this review.

What’s it About? Temporary flings have filled Aaron Condit’s life since his lover, Viscount Noah Seagate died ten years before but when he’s invited to his best friend Leticia Blackwood’s home for a gathering Aaron is forced to confront his growing attraction to Letty’s brother Griffin Merrick. The two men have seen each other at certain clubs throughout the years and there’s an undeniable chemistry between them but Aaron and Griffin aren’t free to be with each other and they don’t want to hurt Letty any more than she’s already been hurt.

How convincing were the main characters as a couple? It took a while for me to see that there was more than just lust between Aaron and Griffin and that was a little bit of a problem because Fascinated is a novella and there wasn’t a lot of time to convince me that they were the real deal but Jess Michaels built on an already existing connection between the two men in a convincing way that had me believing in them.

Is there a “Scooby Gang” worth mentioning? All the Woodleys and Blackwoods are presumably present since it is a family gathering but it’s really only Jack, Letty, War, and Claire who stand out as supporting characters. There are no new characters introduced since 1.) It’s a novella and needs to focus on Aaron and Griffin and 2.) A new character would present risks and unnecessary conflict to said couple’s growing relationship. I enjoyed the small cast though because it left more time for Aaron and Griffin.

How “Lost” did you get in the story? Fascinated was a really quick read for me. Jess Michaels’ style of writing flows easily to me and before I knew it I was done with this novella. I did get caught up in Aaron and Griffin’s story and while it ends on a happy note I couldn’t help feeling a bit sad for these two characters that lived in a time where it meant certain death for them. There would be no grand public declaration for these two; no one would know aside from Letty how much Aaron and Griffin loved each other. I guess all that mattered was that they knew that they loved each other but still, the ending was a little bittersweet.

Click It or Skip It? Click It. Especially if you’ve been reading Michaels’ Woodley series and want to see Aaron and Griffin get their own happy ending.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fascinated.

January 16, 2017 – Started Reading