Haïfa's Reviews > Theft of Swords

Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan

54721988

bookshelves: owned
Read 2 times. Last read January 16, 2017 to January 27, 2017.

You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

Buddy read with Sarah and Petrik

My rating hasn't changed since my first read and it's still somewhere between 3.5 and 4 stars (rounded up because I absolutely love the series as a whole and might be a tiny bit biased)

Riyria Revelations is without a doubt one of my favorite Fantasy series and one that I will revisit again and again in the future. I think I can safely say this is the kind of series that gets better with each book. I thought that the first time I read it and I completely agree with my younger self on this point.

Theft of Swords is divided into 2 books: The Crown Conspiracy and Avempartha.

The Crown Conspiracy may be seen as a long prologue that lays the foundation to the main story. The landscape is defined and the main political and religious powers are introduced. Nevertheless, the story is quite simple. Unlike most high Fantasy series I read, there is no big villain to overthrow, no impending doom that threatens the kingdoms (yet ?). Even if that’s kinda refreshing, my biggest complaint about this first part is that it totally lacked the complexity and epic tropes I usually seek in Fantasy. Yes, there is magic and a fabled wizard, yes there is talk about gods and an epic fallen empire, about elves and dwarves… But it’s mostly just that : talk and myths and History.

The first time I read this, I just closed the book and thought to myself: “Okay… Hum… That’s it? Shall I continue?” And man! I’m so glad I did. Because, though lacking “epicness”, this book (and the series as a whole) introduced me to an awesome palette of great and lovable characters. Hadrian and Royce form an improbable duo. They are fundamentally different, both carry mysterious pasts and they can’t stop bantering. I loved them since the beginning (even when we didn’t know much) because I sensed there was much more to them than what Michael hinted at at this point. And then there is dear, dear Myron, one of the most adorable and endearing characters ever written in Fantasy. He was so cute, marveling at everything and raving alone with no one to comment at his observations!

“There,” Hadrian told Royce, “we’ve got Maribor on our side. Now you can relax.” “Actually,” Myron said sheepishly, “I was praying for the horses. But I will pray for you as well,” he added hastily.

Source: http://minwind.deviantart.com/art/Riy...

Something I also loved about this book was Michael’s prose and humor. The writing was really fluid and I enjoyed the easy read and laughed so hard at some of the dialogues and situations.

The second book, Avempartha improved a lot in terms of plot and characterization in my opinion. In this part, myths are taking more shape and the scope of the story is broadened, as more is at stake and interesting Fantasy elements are introduced. We get to know more about Hadrian and Royce as they encounter new faces (Thrace is a great female addition) and meet again with some of the first book's characters. I understand Petrik and Sarah's complaints though as the story and actions are quite soft at this point and we hear a lot about the lead duo's badassery (in the past) but don't see much of it, for now...

Anyway, this second book was more engaging and hinted at a grander and more complex story and I was really happy to see more facets of Royce in this one. While Hadrian is genuinely kindhearted and caring and looking for a noble purpose in life (imagine him like a giant teddy bear! Well a teddy bear carrying 3 swords, that is…), Royce is sinister, somber, grumpy, clever and sarcastic and I absolutely love the contrast and complementarity between the two partners.

Source: http://federicomusetti.deviantart.com...

Conclusion
Theft of swords can be seen as a big introduction to the series. The plot is very simple and the characters are well outlined but lack depth, background and introspection at this point. I know this first book can be disappointing (I wasn't completely thrilled at first, even if I overall enjoyed the read) but if I may give an advice: please carry on with the whole series! Because only at the last page of the last book will you see the whole big picture and all the elements of the puzzle will fall into place. And believe me, it will be worth the journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theft of Swords.

Quotes Haïfa Liked

Michael J. Sullivan
“Hadrian shook his head and sighed. “Why do you have to make everything so difficult? They’re probably not bad people—just poor. You know, taking what they need to buy a loaf of bread to feed their family. Can you begrudge them that? Winter is coming and times are hard.” He nodded his head in the direction of the thieves. “Right?”
“I ain’t got no family,” flat-nose replied. “I spend most of my coin on drink.”
“You’re not helping,” Hadrian said.”

Michael J. Sullivan
“Aren’t you going to say, I told you so?” Hadrian whispered.
“What would be the point in that?”
“Oh, so you’re saying that you’re going to hang on to this and throw it at me at some future, more personally beneficial moment?”
“I don’t see the point in wasting it now, do you?”

Michael J. Sullivan
“Alric looked up at the thief with a scowl. “I just want to say for the record that as far as royal protectors go, you’re not very good.”
“It’s my first day,” Royce replied dryly.
“And already I’m trapped in a timeless prison. I shudder to think what might have happened if you had a whole week.”
tags: humpr

Michael J. Sullivan
“As they climbed into their saddles, Myron bowed his head and muttered a soft prayer.
“Actually,” Myron said sheepishly, “I was praying for the horses. But I will pray for you as well,” he added hastily.”
tags: humor

Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
April 8, 2016 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
June 28, 2016 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy (Kindle Edition)
June 28, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites (Kindle Edition)
January 16, 2017 – Started Reading
January 16, 2017 – Shelved
January 16, 2017 –
3.0% "Buddy re-reading this with the Prince and the Fair Lady, for nostalgia's sake :D"
January 22, 2017 –
46.0% "Just finished the Crown Conspiracy!
I really enjoyed it more this time, even though it's the weakest of the series!"
January 24, 2017 –
59.0% "I've forgotten how creepy Thrace's village had felt ! :-S"
January 27, 2017 – Finished Reading
September 21, 2017 – Shelved as: owned

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

Samir Love is worth at least a star, or in this case, a half of it :)

Haïfa Yes it is ! Hahaha I still think this installment is the weakest of the series but still, I enjoyed it anyway and I'm so excited for the last two!! :-)

Samir Haïfoun wrote: "Yes it is ! Hahaha I still think this installment is the weakest of the series but still, I enjoyed it anyway and I'm so excited for the last two!! :-)"

Have fun! :)

Haïfa Thanks Samir! I already am ! ^^

edge of bubble seeing you guys reading this made me miss hadrian and royce! I need to start the chronicles.

message 6: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan You haven't read the Chronicles? Oh wow you should. You get a lot more up close and personal with them in the prequels.

message 7: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan I upgraded this when I reread it because the audiobook was soooo good. Tim Gerard Reynolds got their personalities down pat in the way he voiced them, including innocent Myron.

edge of bubble I needed to take a breather, I was in a serious book slump after this series. I want to try them in audio book too =)

Haïfa Oww audio sounds great ! TS, do you know if we have discounts on audio if we already have a copy of the book??

Haïfa Edge, Chronicles are amazing, especially the first two! ^^

message 11: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Haïfoun wrote: "Oww audio sounds great ! TS, do you know if we have discounts on audio if we already have a copy of the book??"

I think so. Can't remember exactly though.

Haïfa Thanks! I will investigate it ! :-D

☽Luna☾ Can't wait for your full review breadstick xx

Haïfa Thank you my Schnitzel ! :-*
RL got in the way of reading and writing this weekend ! lol

Petrik Oh look! you finally write your review and it's a great one! :D

Haïfa Hihihi man I spent hours on this one !! :P
I can't write anymore !
Buy yeah it had to be done and thank you dear friend ! ^^

Samir Great review Haïfa :)

Haïfa Thank you so much Samir ! ^^

message 19: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Excellent review, my dear! Time and effort well spent :)

Haïfa Awww thank you my friend!! ^^

Choko Great review!

Celeste What a fantastic review, my love! Great job!!! *applauds*

Haïfa Thanks Choko !! ^^

Haïfa :'-) Thank you love!! It really means a lot to me !! :-*

message 25: by L A i N E Y (new)

L A i N E Y Great review Haifoun! So this is one of your fav series then?

Haïfa Thank you Lainey!! Yep! Though I had issues with the plot in book 1, I loved the characters so much that I continued reading it and I was rewarded by an awesome story ! ^^ Did you read it?

Nimrod Daniel Great review! I read this book very recently, and really enjoyed the ride. Royce and Hadrian are hilarious :)

Orient Great review, Haifoun :))) Love the pics ;) Your conclusion is best ever ;)

Haïfa Thank you Nimrod ! I'm glad you loved it and those two are my favorite duo in Fantasy!! ^^ Did you read only Theft of Swords?

Haïfa Thanks Orient! I hope you'll lover the next installments better, if you continue reading the series!!

Orient Haïfoun wrote: "Thanks Orient! I hope you'll lover the next installments better, if you continue reading the series!!"

Thanks, I'll continue for sure :)