Katie's Reviews > Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West

Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

Jun 12, 2007

bookshelves: favorites

I found this really hard to get into; 100 pages through, all that carried me were the sentences themselves, which might have been enough -- they're consistently amazing: precise, gorgeous, experimental in their use of language (to the point where I had to lol on the Greyhound)... but certain images began to stick with me, and not even the most violent, but those that occurred alongside the ritual slaughters and scalpings (the mule dropping off the side of the canyon, the bear swiping the Delaware from his horse -- and the Delaware with "one arm about its neck like some crazed defector in a gesture of defiant camaraderie," lol). Though the violence was relentless, the characters hard to grip, the story eventually took me in. And finally I found the creepiest sentence (and probably the only one that recurred) to be, simply, "The judge smiled." I don't know that this is a book to love, but it did blow my fucking mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West.

Started Reading