Stephan Mosby-Williams's Reviews > Native Son

Native Son by Richard Wright

Mar 27, 2008

did not like it
Recommended to Stephan by: MR. ROMERO

I hated this book! It was not interesting and I could barely stay focused to the book while I was reading. That's what I thought of the book when I first started reading it. The book was funny at times and gruesome at others but over all the book was swell.
I didn't like the book because I wasn't interested in a boy killing a mouse or a boy scaring his little sister with a mouse. It just didn't appeal to me. I felt as though I wasn't the attended audience the book was written for.
I started to like the book after Bigger got into the fight with Gus at the poolhall. I don't know why but it's just something about a fight that just has people swarning to the scene and on their toes. Sometimes after a fight I hope that I get hit so I can show the world my boxing abilities.I know that's how Jack and G. H. must've felt.
One thing I've learned from this book and throughout my life is to not just a book by its cover. Just because Bigger was black and lived the street life in a poverty embedded neighborhood, the people should have held their opinion of him until he got what he deserved. Which was not a tight noose around his neck but a fair trial which he had the right to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Native Son.

Stephan Mosby-Williams Native Son was very boring and uninteresting! Well thats what I thought at first. But after I got to the end of book one the story got interesting.
The story was boring because nothing interesting was happening but when Bigger killed the girl I kept reading because I wanted to find out how he would evade being questioned and evade capture from the police.
If your interested in stories about people making remarks or accusations about people solely based upon their skin color you should read this story.

message 2: by Shelby (new)

Shelby "I hated this book" "over all the book was swell"

Isn't that a huge contradiction?