Toshi's Reviews > The Joker

The Joker by Brian Azzarello

Jul 23, 2011

bookshelves: comics, favorites
Read in July, 2011

If you want to have an idea of where Heath Ledger came up with his version of the joker, you have to read this. I've always felt that the Joker is my favorite villain simply because he's crazy, in a controlled sort of way. He's the kind of villain that should light someone on fire for saying the work Tuesday in front of him because he decided he didn't want to hear that word at all that day. But he should also be able to focus long enough to come up with an intricate plot or trap for batman, or some other unlucky rival. He is spontaneously violent at times, and calm and focused others. It's what makes him truely interesting as a character. His insanity isn't as gimmicky as believable. That's what this book is like. You get to see the Joker in a cool rage, harness the crazy within himself to achieve his goals, while doing some things for no reason beyond the fact that he felt like doing them. Well worth a read if you even mildly like batman. I personally feel that this is a better Joker centered novel than "The Killing Joke", despite the other being more widely respected.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Joker.