Brooke Shirts's Reviews > Infernal Devices

Infernal Devices by Philip Reeve

Mar 27, 2008

bookshelves: books-read-in-2008
Read in March, 2008

More Hungry City Chronicles! More towns on wheels! More oddly obsessive descriptions of the characters' clothing! More action, more traction!

This book leaps forward 16 years from Predator's Gold. Young Wren Natsworthy is kidnapped after her plans to run away go awry, and her parents, Tom and Hester (the heroes of the previous two books) chase after her and the three of them are swiftly embroiled in political intrigue, danger, entanglements with evil cyborgs, Falling in Like With Handsome African Men, etc. etc.

There was a bit of trouble with the characterizations of Tom and Hester -- they were still behaving as impulsively and irrationally at age 33 as at 17, which bothered me. More so was Hester's intense dislike of her daughter -- Reeves is pushing the envelope when he has a character wish her daughter had never been born, and then still expect to sympathize with her in any way.

Still, I gotta say that I'm craving one of those pink-leather aviator suits that Orla Twombley (pilot of the Combat Wombat) sports, with her hair so winningly "winged back." Yum.

Onwards to Book 4!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infernal Devices.