Julie's Reviews > The House at the Edge of Night

The House at the Edge of Night by Catherine Banner

bookshelves: 2017, cultural, e-book, historical-fiction, family, saga, overdrive

The House at the Edge of Night by Catherine Banner is a 2016 Random House publication.

This book came highly recommended by several of my Goodreads friends who described the book as a family saga, so I knew I had to check it out.

This story is centered around the Esposito family living on the island of Castellamare in Italy. The island is remote, but has its own fiefdoms, power struggles, and is fraught with personal family dramas and scandals.

Beginning with Amedeo Esposito, who arrives on the island as the first doctor the island ever welcomed, but eventually opens ‘The House at the Edge of Night’, a bar/café which becomes a center point of the island where the residents gather for fellowship, communication and of course gossip.

The story follows Amedeo, his wife, Pina, and their children as they go through wars, conflicts, financial fallouts, and personal issues within marriages and families, which entails sibling rivalry, jealousy, love won and lost, and found again.

I absolutely love, love, love, family sagas! Sadly, sweeping sagas are far and few between these days, but perhaps wonderful stories, like this one will inspire more interest it them.

This is a beautiful story, rich in details with incredibly well drawn characters which makes it so easy to become immersed in the story and to care for the Esposito family. I found myself completely wound up in their dramas, the amazingly beautiful setting, the culture, and the realistic portrayal of human beings with all their foibles and strengths.

This is a powerful and lush story filled with charm and enhanced with folk tales and tradition. I never wanted the story to end, but was so happy with the family’s perseverance in the face of adversity, the way they came together and remained committed despite the challenges they faced.

I was impressed with the storytelling here and believe this is a story anyone can enjoy. I wish there were many more novels like this one!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House at the Edge of Night.

January 15, 2017 – Started Reading
January 15, 2017 – Shelved as: family
January 15, 2017 – Shelved as: saga
January 15, 2017 – Shelved as: overdrive
January 16, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Great review, Julie! I bought this one based on that gorgeous cover and have it sitting close to the top of my stack!

Brenda - Host of Traveling Sisters & Friends Excellent review, Julie. I just added this to my kindle. It sounds really good. Glad to see 5 stars and glad you enjoyed it

Julie Jennifer wrote: "Great review, Julie! I bought this one based on that gorgeous cover and have it sitting close to the top of my stack!"

Thank you, Jennifer! Happy reading!

Julie Brenda wrote: "Excellent review, Julie. I just added this to my kindle. It sounds really good. Glad to see 5 stars and glad you enjoyed it"

Brenda,
Thank you!! Enjoy the book, I really think you will like it!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Excellent review Julie! I can't wait to read this one!!

Julie Lindsay wrote: "Excellent review Julie! I can't wait to read this one!!"

Thank you, Lindsay!!

message 7: by Frances (new) - added it

Frances A lovely review Julie!! I like family sagas too and with your 5* review .... I'm going to have to add!! :D

Linda Wonderful review, Julie. Loved this one!

Julie Frances wrote: "A lovely review Julie!! I like family sagas too and with your 5* review .... I'm going to have to add!! :D"

Thank you, Frances!!

Julie Linda wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie. Loved this one!"

Thank you, Linda!!

PorshaJo Beautiful review Julie! You captured the heart of this wonderful story. I'm so glad you loved this one. I plan to revisit this book again as I dearly love it.

Karen Wonderful review! I loved it too!

Julie PorshaJo wrote: "Beautiful review Julie! You captured the heart of this wonderful story. I'm so glad you loved this one. I plan to revisit this book again as I dearly love it."

Thank you, PorshaJo!! This book is definitely worth re-reading!

Julie Karen wrote: "Wonderful review! I loved it too!"

Thank you, Karen!!

Angela M Very nice review! I loved everything about this book!

message 16: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Excellent review Julie.

Julie Angela M wrote: "Very nice review! I loved everything about this book!"

Thank you, Angela!!

Julie Maureen wrote: "Excellent review Julie."

Thank you, Maureen!!

Norma * Traveling Sister Great 5* review, Julie! So glad you enjoyed!!

Julie Norma wrote: "Great 5* review, Julie! So glad you enjoyed!!"

Thank you, Norma!!

message 21: by Iris P (new) - added it

Iris P Beautiful review Julie, this book was already on my very long to-read list for the year. Your wonderful summary certainly motivates me to read it sooner!

message 22: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Going on my wishlist NOW!!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Lovely review Julie! Wow this looks so good!

message 24: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Fantastic review, Julie!!!

Paula Kalin I love family sagas too. Wonderful review, Julie. We are reading this year for my local bookclub. Glad to see your high rating!

Julie Mary wrote: "Going on my wishlist NOW!!"

Fantastic Mary!! Enjoy!!

Julie Mike wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie!!!"

Thank you, Mike!!

Julie Paula wrote: "I love family sagas too. Wonderful review, Julie. We are reading this year for my local bookclub. Glad to see your high rating!"

Thank you, Paula! I hope you enjoy this one! Happy reading!!

message 29: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Another awesome review, Julie!!