Kwoomac's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

2076898
Jul 23, 2011

bookshelves: award-winning, coming-of-age, reviewed, romance, sassy-teen, young-adult, boarding-school-hijinx
Read in July, 2011

I mostly loved this book. John Green is a funny man, or at least is good at creating funny teens and I actually snorted (very teen-like behavior) at some of their conversations.I liked these kids, a group of four friends at a prep school in Alabama. Something bad happens halfway through the book, but this is no surprise. The chapters give a count down to the unknown event. Needless to say, the second half of the book has much less humor in it due to said event. Still, I cared about the kids and while there were fewer laughs I still enjoyed it. I kind of had a crush on their religion teacher, who was snarky and sarcastic, despite his age and missing lung. I wish I had a teacher like him when I was in school (I think. Maybe I would have rolled my eyes at his comments and assumed he was trying unsuccessfully to be hip. I was a tough critic.)My one complaint about the book is probably a testament to my own agedness; graphic dscriptions of sex. Blow jobs, doggy style sex. Is it me or does this not belong in a book categorized as young adult ? Has the young adult genre changed the ratings to make it cooler to actual young adult readers. What bothered me was that this book is one I would like to recommend, but to whom...not actually to any young adults. sigh.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.