Celia's Reviews > Three Go to the Chalet School

Three Go to the Chalet School by Elinor M. Brent-Dyer

bookshelves: chalet-school

21 in the series - I'm about a third of the way through! Astonishing. I really liked this book, as it sets up three characters who are going to part of the ongoing story for some time. Mary-Lou is reluctant to go to school, but fits in very well, particularly when her great friend, Clem, also coincidentally appears as a new pupil.

Verity-Anne, our other new pupil, doesn't fit in nearly as well as the other two. She's been brought up by elderly people, as her father has been on an expedition in South America for many years (coincidentally, it's the same expedition Mary-Lou's father is on - goodness, there's a lot of coincidences in this book). Verity-Anne is terribly old-fashioned, doesn't want to join in games, and thinks that speaking German is unpatriotic (this is the book where the rule of alternate days of English, French and German is re-introduced - yay! That was always the aspect of the Chalet School that I found most romantic as a child.) While she clashes with the mistresses a lot on these points, they don't particularly discipline her, other then sending her to bed - they seem rather confused by her. All is fixed when her father comes home and reforms her (after which she soon expresses a desire to be more like the other Chalet girls - to conform is always the greatest desire of a true Chalet School girl.)

Mary-Lou and Clem, in contrast, have fairly uneventful terms - Mary-Lou is working terribly hard at her schoolwork in an effort to move up a form to be closer to Clem, and makes herself ill at one point through overwork (although she soon recovers). Mary-Lou also becomes terribly close to the Maynards - she calls Jo "Aunty" and has lots of deep and meaningfuls with her, showing us that she's going to be an important character. Anyone who's that close to Jo becomes important!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Go to the Chalet School.