Lindsey (Design Me Write)'s Reviews > This Savage Song

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab

bookshelves: 2017-reads, 5-star-reads, my-library

Can I even write words about this book? I’m not sure. My feels have been shredded. Schwab has done it again. I’m convinced this woman can do no wrong. Even her “poorly done” is amazing. I mean, my complaints with this novel are small and really insignificant because OH MY GOSH, I’M JUST IN LOVE.

Main complaint: the plot. As in, what was it? I mean, there was more of one during the middle of the book. I’ll admit, I struggle through the beginning. The characters and details were good, but I wasn’t quite in my “oh my goodness I can never ever put this book down” kind of mode. But then a thing happened and I finished the rest of the 300 pages in one sitting. It was bad, but oh so good.

Can we talk about August? Because he’s all kinds of tragic lovableness. He’s one of the most powerful monsters who wants nothing more than to be a real boy. Haha. His struggle for normalcy pulls at my heart strings. AND IT’S SO TRAGIC BECAUSE HE CAN’T BE. Tears were shed. He’s wonderful, him and his violin. Even though he’s the least human of all, he’s the kindest soul in this book. He just wants to do good. JUST LET HIM DO GOOD AND LOVE HIM.

Then there’s Kate. The daughter to the King Pin that rivals August’s family. This book begins with her burning down a church. Kate is honestly a wonderful person who feels like she has to do these terrible things in order to impress her father. A father that should definitely win the worst day award EVER . I felt for Kate. She was being something she wasn’t and had lost touch with who she really was. This is something she struggles with the entire novel and you just want to give her a hug and tell her that her dad’s not worth it. Because he’s not. At all.

ILSA. A character who’s barely in any scenes and yet I LOVE HER. SO MUCH. Schwab and her ability to make me care…

I loved how this wasn’t a love story. It was a story about two people who are trying to be something they’re not and have to deal with a city at war. There wasn’t really a love story between August and Kate either, which was refreshing (though, if we’re being honest I am 100% shipping them).

Overall, this book was magic and tragic and all sorts of feels. I can tell Our Dark Duet is going to tear me to shreds. But it’s so beautiful and the characters are so real, I will gladly walk into that tragedy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Savage Song.

January 14, 2017 – Shelved
July 9, 2017 –
page 173
July 10, 2017 –
page 253
54.53% "This is the point in which I don't put down the book until I'm finished."
July 10, 2017 –
page 390
84.05% "I can't even with this book. It's too painful to keep reading. My souls hurts. My feels are in pain. But I have to finish!!!"
July 10, 2017 – Finished Reading