Megan ~The Never Ending Book Basket's Reviews > Lover Unbound

Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward

This series just keeps getting better and better, and I literally cannot say that enough. This book solidified the love I have of these characters, their world, and all that they're experiencing together. J.R. Ward completely immersed me once again in this intense and all-consuming world with a brotherhood of vampires that I can't seem to get enough of. She gave me more of what I've come to love and expect from this series, and she's made it so that I am beyond invested in everything these characters are sharing with one another. With the perfect balance of family, romance, loyalty, twists and turns coupled with intense action, this next chapter in this series did not disappoint one little bit.

To say that I was anticipating V's book is pretty much the understatement of the century. After getting to know him over the first 4 books of the series I knew that there was something about this man that could not be denied. I knew that when I eventually got his story that it would blow me away with all that it had, and that thought was beyond right. His book in Lover Unbound was encapsulating in the most unforgettable way. It was full of twists and turns, and so many life altering revelations. It was filled to the brim with anguish, hope, longing, and a connection between two characters that pulls you in with all that it has. It was a story of pieces coming together, and what happens when these characters are put onto paths they never expected to be on.

From the very first page of this story I was completely in everything that was happening. J.R. Ward thrust me right back into this world that I have come to love so much, and within its pages she gave me a story I could not stop feeling. Lover Unbound dives deep into the past of V, and shows how he has become the man he is. It fills in the holes of his own past, with so many revelations and shocks abound through every turn of that page. The deeper you get into his story, the more you start to understand this man, the pain of that past, and how he's handling what's been placed on him in the present tense. The way that all of that unfolds in this story sets this story on fire in a way that will have you needing to know how it will all work out, and how V will handle what comes his way.

The more and more you get with V in this book, the more that man will sear himself to your heart. Whether its delving deeper into his family and past and how that continues to permeate his present tense. Whether its his friendship with Butch and the brotherhood and loyalty coursing through his veins. Whether its what he begins to feel and share so authentically and honestly with Jane as this story unfolds. Whether its what you get with the other brothers in this book as it all comes to fruition and as everything changes. Whatever it is, Love Unbound was all I could ask for in a story for V.

It was real, intense, and it gave me that man in his truest form. It exemplified who he was , how far he had come, and how much fight was coursing throughout him. It showed exactly how far he would go for what he knew was right, and how the passion and heart of that man exploded onto the pages of this book as his story came to light. Through every word of this book I felt the heart of V, how real it was and how deep his feelings were, and through it all I could not get enough of what I was getting with that man. He was everything. He was charming, he was full of a heart that wanted to feel and give so much, and he was complicated in the best possible way. Getting to know and understand him on the deepest of levels is something I will never forget.

Not to be outdone, the interweaving storylines that I got within this book with Jane, with John Matthew, with Phury and so many of the other unforgettable and dynamic characters of this world had me LOVING every second I was getting with them all. Jane was one fiery woman who I loved to pieces, and while I would love to claim V for myself, she was the exact right person for that man. Their story is not an easy one, and it is full of so many heart wrenching twists and turns. These two star crossed lovers have all the odds stacked against them, but with the connection and feelings they share, you will be rooting for that happy ending in some way or some shape with all that you have. Their love and feelings made this book what it is, and gave me the best of them. It also showed the two of them who they really were, and that had me loving both of them to pieces. Everything I got with them in this story just pulled me in more to their story and what they were sharing, and I could no have asked for more!

Not to be outdone, what I got with Phury and John Matthew in this book has me NEEDING their books something fierce. I feel so darn invested in everything with John Matthew and the evolution his character has gone through. That man owns so much of my heart, and this story strengthened that love like crazy. It also had me beyond ready to see what the future would hold for him, and what that would be like for him. The heart I have for that man knows no bounds, and that is all thanks to what J.R. Ward has so exceptionally crafted with his character. Along with John Matthew, what I got with Phury had me knowing that his book would be just as amazing as this one was. Phury is a character with so much going on in him, and there are so many questions I have about his past and what's led him to the choices he's made. What I got with him in this book not only has me needing to get to know him more, but also has me knowing that his story will be one that I won't soon forget.

The brotherhood, the sense of family, and the connection between all of these characters is something that I can't truly get enough of. The way that J.R. Ward continues to pull me into this world, the way each book leads so perfectly into the next, and the way she has me needing to see how all of the pieces of the puzzle come together is nothing short of everything. Each new book in this series pulls me in more, while simultaneously reminding me again and again why this series is so amazing. The heart, the feels, the heat and intensity, and the all consuming nature this author creates through every single word of the book was perfection. Literal perfection. And I can't say that enough.

V's book in Lover Unbound was just like him. Full of mystery, smart, well crafted in a way that's equal parts sexy and alluring, while also giving you so much to love and think about, and in the end it was a story that I felt and loved and basked in every word of. It was him to a T, and getting to experience what I did with him, along with the other dynamic characters of this world, was everything. And then some. This was exactly what I needed for him and these characters, and as I finish this review, all I can think about is how soon I can start Phury's book because I NEED more of these characters in my life.

With how much I've gotten in this series with these unforgettable and completely mesmerizing characters is something I can't rave enough about. These books are in a league of their own, and I for one can't wait to experience more of their literal amazingness as these books continue!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Unbound.

Quotes Megan Liked

J.R. Ward
“You so need to lighten up about that potato-launcher incident," Butch said.
Phury rolled his eyes and eased back in the banquette. "You broke my window."
"Of course we did. V and I were aiming for it."
"Twice."
"Thus proving that he and I are outstanding marksmen.”

J.R. Ward
“There aren't any syringes." Red Sox came over and held a sterile pack out. When she tried to take it from him, he kept a grip on the thing. "I know you'll use this wisely."
"Wisely?" She snapped the syringe out of his hand. "No, I'm going to poke him in the eye with it. Because that's what they trained me to do in medical school.”

“Take off your coat."
"Excuse me?"
"Take it off."
"No."
"I want it off."
"Then I suggest you hold your breath. Won't affect me in the slightest, but at least the suffocation will help pass the time for you. [Vishous to Jane]”

J.R. Ward
“And second, I don't think there's much of a market for your particular brand of psychology."
"So not true."
"Butch, you and I just beat the crap out of each other."
"You started it. And actually, it would be perfect for Spike TV. UFC meets Oprah. God, I'm brilliant."
"Keep telling yourself that.
-Butch and V”

J.R. Ward
“Red Sox looked around Jane at the patient, “Your mind reading coming back?”

“With her? Sometimes?”

“Huh. You getting anything from anyone else?”

“Nope.”

Red Sox repositioned his hat. “Well, ah…let me know if you pick up shit from me, k? There are some things that I’d prefer to keep private, feel me?”

“Roger that. Although I can’t help it sometimes.”

“Which is why I’m going to take up thinking about baseball when you’re around.”

“Thank fuck you’re not a Yankees fan.”

“Don’t use the Y-word. We’re in mixed company.”

J.R. Ward
“Tell you what, you let me go, and I’ll ask you plenty of questions about your race. Until then, I’m slightly distracted with how this little vacation on the good ship Holy Sh*t is going to pan out for me.”

J.R. Ward
“Terrific. A bisexual dominant vampire with kidnapping expertise.”

J.R. Ward
“When I want you to beg, I'll tell you.”

J.R. Ward
“On the chessboard of his godforsaken existence, the pieces were lined up, the play preordained. Man, so many times in life you didn't get to pick your path because the way you went was decided for you.

Free will was such bullshit.

-Vishous's thoughts”

J.R. Ward
“Love was worth sacrificing for, he thought as he left his room. Even if it wasn't yours.

-Phury's thoughts”

J.R. Ward
“I believe there's a hand that guides us. It just isn't always a gentle one. Or one that seems fair at the time. But I dunno, I try to trust in it now. When I freak, I just try to... shit, I guess trust in it. Because at the end of the day, what else can you do? Choice only gets you so far. Reasoning and planning too. The rest... it's up to someone else. Where we end up, who we know, what happens to the people we love... we don't have a lot of control over any of it.”

J.R. Ward
“All of us are taking the night off," Wrath said abruptly. "We need some regroup time."

Rhage snorted from across the table. "You're not going to make us play Monopoly again, are you?"

Yup." A collective groan rose up from the Brotherhood, one that Wrath ignored. "Right after dinner.”

J.R. Ward
“They don't fit you?" V asked his roommate.
"Not the point. No offense, but these are wicked Village People." Butch held his heavy arms out and turned in a circle, his bare chest catching the light. "I mean, come on."
"They're for fighting, not fashion."
"So are kilts, but you don't see me rocking the tartan."
"And thank God for that. You're too bowlegged to pull that shit off."
Butch assumed a bored expression. "You can bite me.”

J.R. Ward
“Gimme an S! A T! An O! A C! Followed by a K-H-O-L-M! What's it spell? HEAD FUCK.

- Jane”

J.R. Ward
“You would have made a fine warrior, you know that?"

I am one. Death is my enemy."

Yeah, it is, isn't it." God, it made such sense that he'd bonded with her. She was a fighter… like him. "Your scalpel's your dagger."

Yup.”

J.R. Ward
“Qhuinn smiled, baring his fangs. 'Has anyone ever shown you the difference between good touch and bad touch? 'Cause I'd love to demonstrate. We could start right now.”

J.R. Ward
“I love you. And I'm going to keep loving you even after you don't know I exist.”

“Stop it.
Do not feel safe with him. The Stockholm Syndrome is not your friend.”

J.R. Ward
“Falling into ruin was a bit like falling in love: Both descents stripped you bare and left you as you were at your core. And both endings are equally painful.”

J.R. Ward
“They’d just left when Zsadist came in at a dead run. “Shit, shit, shit…”
What’s doing, my brother?”
“I’m teaching and I’m late.”
Zsadist grabbed a sleeve of bagels, a turkey leg out of the refridge and a quart of ice cream from the freezer. “Shit.”
“That’s your breakfast?”
“Shut up. It’s almost a turkey sandwich.”

J.R. Ward
“Quick question. Does this magical skill with gray matter come with a total lack of compunction for your kind, or is it just you who were born without a conscience?

V: I beg your pardon?”

J.R. Ward
“Butch nodded as if he knew exactly what was doing. "Like I said, my man, it's whatever. You and me? Same as always, no matter who you screw. Although… if you're into sheep, that would be tough. Don't know if I could handle that.”

J.R. Ward
“If you eliminate all possible explanations, then the impossible is the answer.”

J.R. Ward
“V rolled the Aquafina bottle between his palms. "How long have you wanted to ask me the question? About the gay thing."
"For a while."
"Afraid of what I'd say?"
"Nope, because it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I'm tight with you whether you like males or females or both."
V looked into his best friend's eyes and realized… yeah, Butch wasn't going to judge him. They were cool no matter what.
With a curse, V rubbed the center of his chest and blinked. He never cried but he felt as if he could at this moment.”

J.R. Ward
“Written on the mirror, revealed by the steam, were the words, I love you, Jane.”

J.R. Ward
“If you're going to insist on being reasonable, I'm going to stop hanging with you.”

January 12, 2017 – Started Reading