Hannah 's Reviews > Origins

Origins by L.J. Smith

liked it
bookshelves: 2015-oct-2016-oct, dropped-series, bloody-literature, ya

MORE? MORE! @ P.S. I love that book!

First time I touched Vampire Diaries was back when I was in my early teens. I absolutely loved the first four books. Then after ten year or so pause L.J.Smith decided it was time to write more sequels to TVD. The Return trilogy was alright, however I know not all of it was written by L.J. Smith. So when other day I saw many copies of TVD in my library I went to check it out and saw this one. It is based loosely on L.J. Smith Vampire Diaries as well as on the TV show created by The CW.

This is the first book of Stefan's Diaries and therefore tells the story of how Stefan and Damon met Katherine in the TV show version. If you have watched the TV show you know how it happened and it is pretty much same in this book except for Stefan. But bare with me.

THE WORLD: In old times when gentlemen were supposed marry ladies picked for them by there father Salvatore family lived in Mystic Falls. Yes, same TV show weird name. Anyways, the world is simple, we have all these boys and all these girls getting married and worrying about silly things. There are dark things in this world but few are aware.

CHARACTERS: There are three main characters in this book: Stefan, Damon and Katherine. Now let me start with Stefan. He is kind and silly and falls in love with Katherine blindingly. That is what we already know. But what we did not know and what was for me a big surprise was that Stefan is also a huge coward. He gives his one true love (TV Show srsly ruined this phrase for me, now all I can do it roll my eyes whenever I hear it) for just being looked at as good. I was super shocked. Did not see that coming at all. Shame on you Stefan. Then we have Damon...just old boring Damon except that he is actually the smart one in this book. Strange. I always picture TV Damon as annoying spoiled brat. And then comes Katherine. She stays exactly like in the show: selfish, stupid and manipulative. I know many of you would add pretty but frankly I do not see it. I just don't.

LOVE: We all know it. Damon loves Katherine. Stefan loves Katherine. Katherine loves Katherine.

PLUS: It refreshed my memories of the show.

MINUS: It was like reading a draft of 12 years old child. No creativity, no actual value.

OVERALL: I read it and that is all. It was decent enough to finish but I will not read further any books based on the TV show.

MORE? MORE! @ P.S. I love that book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Origins.

July 23, 2011 – Shelved